Which 6mm?

108ELDM

FNG
I am working on a Tikka build. I ordered a barrel through my gunsmith. It was supposed to be a 1/7.5 twist. It showed up and it’s actually a 1/7. I am not too worried about the twist because I planned on running 112 MB, 109 ELDM, or 115 DTAC.

I am currently stuck on what chambering. I have a Howa mini in 6mm ARC. I am contemplating building a 6 Creed or a 6 GT.

I plan on shots being inside of 600 until my skill sets improves.

I do like the idea of less recoil with the 6GT and longer barrel life.

The 6 Creed seems to have a lot of love here.

What would you guys choose?

OP
108ELDM

108ELDM

FNG
I planned on an 18” barrel for my suppressor.

I have really gotten to like the low recoil of my suppressed 6 ARC.

I have never shot a 6GT, but I am curious of there is noticeably less recoil then the 6 Creed.

Taudisio

WKR
I am working on a Tikka build. I ordered a barrel through my gunsmith. It was supposed to be a 1/7.5 twist. It showed up and it’s actually a 1/7. I am not too worried about the twist because I planned on running 112 MB, 109 ELDM, or 115 DTAC.

I am currently stuck on what chambering. I have a Howa mini in 6mm ARC. I am contemplating building a 6 Creed or a 6 GT.

I plan on shots being inside of 600 until my skill sets improves.

I do like the idea of less recoil with the 6GT and longer barrel life.

The 6 Creed seems to have a lot of love here.

What would you guys choose?
I would choose the one that gets the bullet I want to hunt with, to the impact velocity at the range/elevation I want to hunt, with the barrel length I want to carry.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m in a similar boat, that said I have shot a few 6 creed barrels out in the match setting.

I’m building a 6 dasher for hunting.

What length barrel are you going for, if it’s short and suppressed that begins to narrow things down. If you’re okay with a longer barrel that opens options like BR.

OP
108ELDM

108ELDM

FNG
I would choose the one that gets the bullet I want to hunt with, to the impact velocity at the range/elevation I want to hunt, with the barrel length I want to carry.
That’s been some of my thinking lately. I think the 6 GT would do what I want.

I just wonder what I would give up to the 6 Creed.

OP
108ELDM

108ELDM

FNG
I’m in a similar boat, that said I have shot a few 6 creed barrels out in the match setting.

I’m building a 6 dasher for hunting.

What length barrel are you going for, if it’s short and suppressed that begins to narrow things down. If you’re okay with a longer barrel that opens options like BR.
It would be at least 18” if not shorter.

I have also contemplated the 6 Dasher, but I had a couple reservations.

It seems really close to my 6 ARC.
I can’t find much about the 6 Dasher feeding reliably from factory Tikka mags.

Taudisio

WKR
That’s been some of my thinking lately. I think the 6 GT would do what I want.

I just wonder what I would give up to the 6 Creed.
I haven’t researched the gt enough to know its velocities. I did just see Hornady is going to make ammo for it with the 109eldm. Find the velocity, subtract 35fps per inch of barrel length difference you are considering (just to be on the conservative side). That should give you a rough estimate of where you could be. If it’s not fast enough to get your impact velocity to where you need, pick the creed and be happy.

Lawnboi

WKR
It would be at least 18” if not shorter.

I have also contemplated the 6 Dasher, but I had a couple reservations.

It seems really close to my 6 ARC.
I can’t find much about the 6 Dasher feeding reliably from factory Tikka mags.
6 creed is good if your okay with barrel life. 18” or less is have a hard time going anything but 6 creed. Don’t hot rod it and it should treat you well.

I can’t say on dasher feeding either yet. But I’ll make it work.

I don’t have a gt but it isn’t much less powder than the creed in reality.

If you run the numbers I’d bet both are in the same wind bracket at that length barrel. And that’s all that really matters when you’re looking at stuff this close.

I’d be inclined to shoot gt just because I know the creed can get finicky when it gets there in round count.

amassi

WKR
I planned on an 18” barrel for my suppressor.

I have really gotten to like the low recoil of my suppressed 6 ARC.

I have never shot a 6GT, but I am curious of there is noticeably less recoil then the 6 Creed.

There is not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like hot rods so I would say 6 creed. But I’m a hunter and don’t shoot a ton (matches) so I’m not worried about barrel life.

OP
108ELDM

108ELDM

FNG
I like hot rods so I would say 6 creed. But I’m a hunter and don’t shoot a ton (matches) so I’m not worried about barrel life.

I am trying to do a lot more shooting to improve my skills. I put around 700 rounds through my 6 ARC this year. I figure a GT would get me another year of barrel life over the 6 Creedmoor.

I like the idea of less being more in terms of reduced recoil and being able to spot impacts.

I do wonder for hunting though if I wouldn’t be better off going the 6 Creed route for a little better wind bracket and less drop.

amassi

WKR
I am trying to do a lot more shooting to improve my skills. I put around 700 rounds through my 6 ARC this year. I figure a GT would get me another year of barrel life over the 6 Creedmoor.

I like the idea of less being more in terms of reduced recoil and being able to spot impacts.

I do wonder for hunting though if I wouldn’t be better off going the 6 Creed route for a little better wind bracket and less drop.

Sounds like you have a training rifle with your 6arc already it would get the bulk of my training g budget

at 700 rounds a year a 6 creed is ~2 years before a rebarrel
If the GT goes 3 years what’s that savings? Your likely never to realize it as the cost of materials are likely to outpace your savings

OP
108ELDM

108ELDM

FNG
Sounds like you have a training rifle with your 6arc already it would get the bulk of my training g budget

at 700 rounds a year a 6 creed is ~2 years before a rebarrel
If the GT goes 3 years what’s that savings? Your likely never to realize it as the cost of materials are likely to outpace your savings

That’s a really good point.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I haven’t researched the gt enough to know its velocities. I did just see Hornady is going to make ammo for it with the 109eldm. Find the velocity, subtract 35fps per inch of barrel length difference you are considering (just to be on the conservative side). That should give you a rough estimate of where you could be. If it’s not fast enough to get your impact velocity to where you need, pick the creed and be happy.
More like 20-25 per inch. Then add 25 back for using a can… that has been my measured experience pre and post chop barrels.

OP
108ELDM

108ELDM

FNG
Just going off factory ammo and the numbers sound about right, GT is about 90 fps behind creed with heavies.
That is about what I was figuring. For my skill set I don’t see 90 fps making much of a difference.

It’s honestly probably splitting hairs.