Which 15/18x Binos during high light times of the day?

I have meopta meostar 8x42 that have been just great free hand and on a tripod. I have a vortex razor Gen 1 65mm that I use to get a better look at what I find in the binos. But I hate using a spotter to try to find animals so I have forgone the idea of upgrading the spotter to a swaro STS and instead added high mag binos

Looking to add a pair of 15/18x binos because many times the 8’s have a difficult time when I’m trying to pick up tines/ears of hidden deer at far distances

Majority of the time the 15/18s will be used during high light times because my 8’s will be used at first and last light when I’m looking for animals that are more in the open or at least not completely hidden by vegetation.

I don’t know that spending the money on swaros or meoptas will net me much advantage because they will be used during high light times where I’m really picking apart hills sides.

Thinking of binos like the maven C.4s or any other suggestions from people with experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I got a pair of the Vortex UHD Razors 18xs and I LOVE them on a tripod. So easy on the eyes vs using a Spotter to glass with. I still use my 10x binos and all but my Spotter is used mostly for phone scoping now...

Good 15s are useable at all hours of the day. Couple years ago I found a buck for a friend at about 800 yards at least an hour before legal shooting light. It was fairly open country, but my friend couldn't see the buck with lesser glass.

Bubba85

FNG
I can tell you from my experience just yesterday my uncle only had one day to hunt and was willing to kill any legal buck. He had 8x42 Leica goeovids me 15x56 swaro HD. From 400 yards I could tell that he was a spike. Even when he got into 275 yards he was having a hard time confirming his spikes (legal buck). I got next to him and gave him my 15’s and tripod so he could confirm before he shot. Had he only had his 8’s he may have to had pass on that buck.

OP
T
Good 15s are useable at all hours of the day. Couple years ago I found a buck for a friend at about 800 yards at least an hour before legal shooting light. It was fairly open country, but my friend couldn't see the buck with lesser glass.

I phrased my initial post in funny way. I meant to say that my 15x would most be used an hour or so after sunrise and an hour or so before sunrise. Essentially the 15x binos would be used during high levels of light. I brought that up because I struggle to see the difference in mid quality binos and high end binos when there is a high amount of light (non low light situations)

Bubba85

FNG
A plug for gr8tfuldoug over at cameralandny I just bought a set of noctivids for a heck of a price, they should be here tomorrow. Great service same as when I bought my meopta s2 spotter.

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Sig Zulu 9's seem to be pretty good bang for the buck. Reviewed well here too...but Doug at Camerland with those Meopta's would be hard to beat....

kthomas

FNG
I'm also in the hunt for 15x56 binos, but also looking for a good value proposition.

Here is what I've found are typical prices of used high quality 15x56 binos on Rokslide:

Meopta Meostar 15x56: $1000-$1100
Zeiss Conquest HD: ~$1300
Swarovski 15x56 SLC: $1800-2000

If new, CameraLandNY is an obvious choice. Keep an eye on specials, demos and "open box" deals.

OP
T
Following back up, ended up getting new SLCs 15x56 for $2100.

On tripods, I compared the 18x56 vortex UHD and the 15x56 SLCs and in the middle of the day SLCs were a bit more clear. In low/limited light I’m sure the swaros would shine.

I’m actually surprised how well I can hand hold these SLCs, they are going to give my 8x42 meoptas a run for their money for the spot on the chest when hunting large open areas

Following back up, ended up getting new SLCs 15x56 for $2100.

On tripods, I compared the 18x56 vortex UHD and the 15x56 SLCs and in the middle of the day SLCs were a bit more clear. In low/limited light I’m sure the swaros would shine.

I’m actually surprised how well I can hand hold these SLCs, they are going to give my 8x42 meoptas a run for their money for the spot on the chest when hunting large open areas

Great choice.

nphunter

WKR
The 15x will be better in low light than the 18’s. Neither will be as good as your 8X Meostars at dusk and dawn. My Razor 10x42’s perform better in low light than my Meostar 15’s and my buddies NL 12x42’s.

The best thing I have for low light is my S2 82mm spotter on 20X.

Last week we were glassing from our spike camp and it was too dark to pick up anything with my 15’s, I switched to my 10’s and was able to pick up a couple of bucks sparing, it took a bit for it to get light enough for 15’s.

Mojave

WKR
The image stabilized Canon's are ok, I don't know if they are still made.

The image stabilized Zeiss 20x60's are amazing.

I have a pair of 10x56 Zeiss. I wish they were the 20x60's, but damn those are $8000.

SWaro 15s have a massive sweet spot. So you can focus on a point and resolve near and far from there. Others may also, but that’s what stood out about the Swaro 15s I used.