Where to put locking tag on a Black Bear (AK)

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Greetings, headed to Prince of Wales Island for Black Bear this week. I was wondering if any of you experienced AK Bear hunters can tell me where to attach the locking tag on a Bear?

Thanks,
Ron

Rwolf

FNG
If its a boar you put it through the penis sheath. That way its with the proof of sex.

I don't know if non-residents are sold a "locking" tag or not for black bears (I think all that is required is a harvest ticket), but if so, anywhere really. Mouth and eye, both eyes, mouth and nose, ear, or even better yet just cut a slit in the skin, somewhere along the perimeter where it will more than likely get trimmed off anyway (assuming you're going to rug it out).

Erict

WKR
Alaska 2022 Hunting Regulations seem clear enough:

"Big game locking-tags, not to be confused with harvest tickets (shown on page 14), are numbered metal locking objects that must be purchased prior to hunting. Resident locking-tags are not required for most species. In areas where a locking-tag is required, it must be locked on a part of the animal required to be salvaged (skull, hide, or meat) prior to leaving the kill site and must remain there until the animal is prepared for storage, consumed, or exported. Harvest tickets or permits may also be required prior to hunting."

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Alaska 2022 Hunting Regulations seem clear enough:

"Big game locking-tags, not to be confused with harvest tickets (shown on page 14), are numbered metal locking objects that must be purchased prior to hunting. Resident locking-tags are not required for most species. In areas where a locking-tag is required, it must be locked on a part of the animal required to be salvaged (skull, hide, or meat) prior to leaving the kill site and must remain there until the animal is prepared for storage, consumed, or exported. Harvest tickets or permits may also be required prior to hunting."
Thanks, I was looking on their website and I missed that.

As far as I can see, only a harvest ticket is required for black bears on POW. I don’t see anything in the regs stating that a locking tag is required.
c22c13b6296ef3a8f9f7e7e9526284a8.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops, never mind, it looks like a locking tag is required for non-residents and the best place to put it would be through the skull.

ae3da84f716b7a0b4cd594b820009248.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: