Where do you all buy your ammo?

Is it though?

I find what happens is you reload is you need 20 gadgets that you don't really need but you "need". Now you've doubled your equipment investment.
Then you decide you should get a wildcat. Double that investment again.
Then you start loading EOL's or long coppers or something that doesn't work in a standard chamber or twist rate, so you need custom barrels and a medium action and a long throat.

Nothing cheaper about it.
1A18EF83-0D9E-4C09-9046-8062D4536B5D.jpeg

BWlongbow

Lil-Rokslider
Midway and Brownell's. On occasion Midway has free shipping. Both are usually cheaper than the store around where I live.

BFR

WKR
I believe it is cheaper, if one has restraint and doesn't make it a hobby and end up going crazy with the extra items. But I would say, most guys don't have that much self-control, LOL!
Restraint and reloading is NEVER used together that’s sacrilege.

def90

WKR
Typically online, it's pretty much always cheaper.

When you find it online cheap, stack it deep. Don't let yourself be the guy looking for ammo tye next time a shortage pops up.

Bi Mart, Walmart, and through other smaller folks.

Don’t know how sportsman’s warehouse moves any ammo and even shotgun shells when they’re outrageously priced. No way in hell is anyone smart buying target loads for $14 a box.

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
Usually check cabelas, sportsman’s guide, budsgunshop, Natchez, midwayusa, target sports USA and buy wherever it’s the cheapest

Rich M

WKR
Shop the sales and rebates.

Might be as simple as buying a box here and there to build up the supply over time.

Also - for bulk shooting, nothing beats a good .22 rifle. you get trigger time and it's cheap. It isn't glamorous but with a good .22, you can shoot a .30 cal bullet hole as a target at 100 yards. $40 for 500 rounds.

You can shop around and see what ammo is available and how much $. Then decide if you want to get another rifle that shoots cheap ammo. 223/556? 7.62x39? Etc.

Reloading is a cost effective way to shoot more but it ultimately takes more time. The upfront cost is manageable if you are willing to use the basic equipment and not try to set yourself up as a professional reloader. Some ammo is sold at prices cheaper than you can reload, others can be reloaded for $1 or more savings per shot. If you are gonna shoot 1,000+ rounds per year you probably want to reload. If you are gonna shoot 100 rounds per year, just buy ammo by the case.

Fun question - have you figured out how much you want to have on hand? Don't answer this but think about it.

dtrkyman

WKR
I pretty much only shoot shotgun ammo while hunting, rarely target shoot and do not hunt big game with a rifle.

So I buy ammo locally at a Big R or wally world mostly.

I shoot my bow everyday when the weather is nice.

Taudisio

WKR
I buy online often. Just be careful of the site you are getting it on. I will always search ammoseek for relative prices. Sometimes there are some “off” websites that it send you to. Mostly I buy off midway, basspro/Cabela’s, scheels. I try to find a few sites and compare prices with shipping factored in. I have had good luck on gunbroker but have heard of horror stories. Good luck and have fun!

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
Gunbot.net lists a lot of places to buy and the prices... It used to work better before COVID times...

Freedom munitions is pretty solid most of the time.