where are the cows?

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Got back from Unit 33 cow hunt this past week, felt like we were in bull country and deer country as we saw both but never got eyes on cows. Have they moved lower in advance of the bulls with the snow... ~1ft on south facing, ~2-2.5ft north facing. Lots of private in that 7800-8800ft elevation that struck me as where they'd likely be en route to lower elevations. Could they be as far down as ~7500ish or lower already, that's the only area we saw grass available? Just pondering future strategy.

S.Clancy

WKR
They are going to be where the resources are the easiest to access. This time of year that likely means lower elevation. If you were only seeing bulls, go lower.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
We found some at 8,500 feet this week. I think it depends on the area and natural elk migration patterns.

ElkNut1

WKR
Elk have yearly migration routes, find them through local Fish & Game.

Find the area where you're hunting that elk migrate too. If no elk there then start going up in elevation as opposed to starting high & coming down. You will most likely encounter Cows at or near snow level, if not there they're not too far away. Glassing would be key as you locate them or tracks in fresh snowfall. Once sign is located your hunt starts!

ElkNut

balls47

FNG
Hunted 33 2nd season and saw more elk low 6500-7500 than I can ever remember seeing in years past, ( I'm a local ) Filled my tag on the second day.

Marble

WKR
Elk have yearly migration routes, find them through local Fish & Game.

Find the area where you're hunting that elk migrate too. If no elk there then start going up in elevation as opposed to starting high & coming down. You will most likely encounter Cows at or near snow level, if not there they're not too far away. Glassing would be key as you locate them or tracks in fresh snowfall. Once sign is located your hunt starts!

ElkNut
This is exactly correct. I'll add that the area they are feeding at can change by 2000' elevation in the same day. One warm day can burn off enough snow to make easy access for them to feed.

Find a South facing slope, or even west facing, and glass it all day. It's best to have a slope that ranges from below to well above snow line. When you find animals, note the conditions they are in and search areas you can see that are similar.

If you know what the weather will be you can somewhat predict how long they will be at that level/conditions. If it will remain warm, then they will continue to be in that area and higher, if temps are dropping and weather is coming, they will probably move down to similar conditions.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk