What's your Ulralight Optics Strategy? Just got the Maven 8x30 and loving them

Hi All,

For those who make effort to go light, what's your strategy for optics in the various conditions and game you hunt?

Mine has definitely been a work in progress. Started with the do it all 10x42 and used my trekking poles/hat to hand hold to save the couple pounds of a tripod, but...after actually using a tripod I quickly committed to bringing it if I'd be doing any extended glassing sessions.

For the hunts where I know I'll be sitting for a long time behind the glass I finally invested a couple years ago in my first alpha glass, the SLC 15x56. I even got by carrying them in my bino case which wasn't ideal for hand hold but doable if not for too long. Love the clarity, but obviously they're heavy for longer hand holds and not needed for archery elk.

For archery elk now I can't wait to bring these new Maven 8x30's as they're feather light and will be more than enough for the mostly timbered and some open space hunting I do in September.

Anyone else running a superlight 8x and what triggers you to bring a spotting scope or 15x for tripod glassing?

Cheers,

s

Hoodie

WKR
I tried to like 8x30/8x32 for hunting, but for me I need a 42mm for serious glassing. I do have an 8x32 as my backup/hiking bino.

Right now I do this:

Timber hunts- 26 oz 8x42
High Country/Mixed Habitat- 26 oz 8x42 and 34 oz 56mm spotter
Desert elk- 30 oz 12x50
Desert deer- 30 oz 12x50 and 34 oz 56mm spotter.

Covers all my bases with 3 optics. Tripod goes on any hunt that isn't 100% timber.

Elkangle

WKR
I get the idea but honestly glass is the least place to cut weight in my eyes unless I'm hunting in very thick country such as coastal Washington

The value of distant glassing can't be overstated enough...people get by because they don't know what they don't see

Sure 8s would be perfect for running ridges and calling non stop but what are you gona do if they arnt playing back ?? The more options you have the more successful youl be and I'm out there to kill stuff...not be light or hunt one specific way

Just my thoughts, hope this helps

ljalberta

WKR
I currently have 10x42 SLCs and 8x30 Monarch HGs. I absolutely love the Swaros, but I find that I tend to take the 8x30s more these days on everything but sheep hunts.

For a small spotter I have the Nikon ED50 which is a great little unit, but I made the mistake of looking through the Kowa 553. That thing is a proper unit.

If there’s any level of serious glassing that might happen I still bring my tripod. I just have a much more enjoyable and effective glassing session with it compared to hand-holding the binos for long periods of time.

nobody

WKR
I agree with what was said above. The LAST thing to have weight cut is my glass. Can't hunt what you can't see! I'll carry my 10's, 15's, and an 85mm spotter if I can justify the weight and cut enough elsewhere. I'll carry lighter food, less water at a time, less layers, forego a pillow, whatever it takes, but I'll never step "down" in my optics to save weight. I did cut down the weight of my tripod from about 5.5 lbs to just below 3 by going with a seated height only carbon fiber unit, that's the only place I've cut weight. But I didn't cut any performance.

That said, if it works for you then great!

My full kit “light” optics setup is comprised of the following:
* Binoculars: Swarovski SLC 10x42
* Spotter: Kowa 554
* Tripod/Head: Slik 635 CF, Jim White 2

This setup have proven highly effective when line of site isn’t for miles, weight is a major concern (ex: camp on my back), and/or if I am “running and gunning”.

I’ll mix it up depending on where and what I am hunting. Can add a more robust tripod, SLC 15s and/or STX 65/95 to the mix as needed.

Trial153

WKR
I don’t need more then my 8x32 Els for archery elk hunting. The only time I might switch that up is a late season hunt. Otherwise there is no need to carry the extra weight .

For ultralight solo sheep hunts, I’ll sometimes run my Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 and Kowa 553 spotter. This is what I used last year and was successful & didn’t wish for larger glass in the area I was hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brettpsu

Lil-Rokslider
For archery elk hunting thick timber I now run Maven 8x30's with a Rick Young harness. Super light and no big bulky harness to get in the way of my recurve string. Love my 10x42 SLC but unless I'm deer hunting or hunting more open areas they stay at camp or in the truck.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my ultralight mule deer combo this past fall was 10x42's (handheld and on a tripod) and a small Leupold 20X spotter, tripod is a Kramer Designs Granite Peak- all of 12 oz, spotter weighs 17 oz

I use Maven 8x30's for elk if I'm hunting dark timber almost exclusively. If not, the 10x42's and Granite Peak tripod (no spotter).

05qyuo7.jpg

e8leuS4.jpg

OP
L
For archery elk hunting thick timber I now run Maven 8x30's with a Rick Young harness. Super light and no big bulky harness to get in the way of my recurve string. Love my 10x42 SLC but unless I'm deer hunting or hunting more open areas they stay at camp or in the truck.
I've considered an ultra simple Rick Young type harness, but I actually use the little pockets for wind checker, calls, even bugout knife. Sounds like the recurve is different as I'm ok with my compound.

Where do you keep your rangefinder with that harness?

I don't do lightweight on optics. I really like reaching way out there with my Kowa 773 above timberline. I use run of the mill Monarch HG 10x42's on the tripod, and I'm packing a Sig Kilo as well.

I've considered an ultra simple Rick Young type harness, but I actually use the little pockets for wind checker, calls, even bugout knife. Sounds like the recurve is different as I'm ok with my compound.

Where do you keep your rangefinder with that harness?
Don't know of a single recurve hunter that uses a rangefinder, myself included. :D

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've got 8x30 B3's and 9x45 Maven B2's. Always seem to carry the B2's hunting, even archery elk, just because I like the clear picture.