Whats your threshold for pain?

Beendare

WKR
Since we are seeing the Sheep, Deer, Elk, etc tag and license prices jump….whats your threshold where you say, “ Nope, I’m not paying that much for that ______ tag”

Lets assume Non Res tags here….not inc guide fees.

Pick your states that you usually hunt…..…and pick your species, whats your $$$ limit to insure you hunt?

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I’m a bad example here…as I am willing to pay whatever the market price for certain elk tags.…so take a Montana or Wyoming general tag as an example…I would drop $4k to guarantee the tag No problem.
edit; I should clarify, Im an old guy with maybe 10 more years of bowhunting elk left…so my threshold is pretty high

Last edited:
Depends. For UT and CO OTC for elk, $500. Since it has surpassed that, I don't hunt those states anymore. For a pretty much OIL bull elk tag in UT, I'd go ahead and spend the $1,000 or whatever it is now.

I haven’t decided yet as I have had sons hunting for years now. I haven’t bought a tag and have just been helping them. My last one is 13 so I have a few years left with him buying youth tags until I have to start buying full price for myself. Still pondering this. I started a thread in the Elk section about the Cow prices in CO being the same now as a Bull

Depends on how likely I am to have a good shot at notching the tag. A unit with single digit success rates that I’ve never seen before? Not very much. A unit that I know inside and out that has good harvest statistics? I’d pay a good money for that.

S.Clancy

WKR
Considering I just applied bought and applied in MT for elk, elk B, antelope, antelope B, deer, Mtn goat and 4 turkey tags, with a good chance of drawing all except the mtn goat, I would say my tolerance isn't super high. It is super fun hunting other states, but not if they are 2-3K a piece.....at least not until I make more $$$.

I only make it west every few years so the cost of the tag is pretty small considering. I am considering buying a cow and bull tag this year to make the most of the fuel money to get there and back.

I don't pay for outfitters or much else so it's not such a hit if I spend an extra $500.

The memories I have collected with family are worth 100x what I would have saved if I never took the trips.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have a much higher threshold dollar wise than I do "crowd" wise for elk. I'd pay a lot every year for the right areas AND minimal crowding. With the crowding I've seen in recent years even in draw units, that dollar threshold goes down as well.

bsnedeker

WKR
Considering I just applied bought and applied in MT for elk, elk B, antelope, antelope B, deer, Mtn goat and 4 turkey tags, with a good chance of drawing all except the mtn goat, I would say my tolerance isn't super high. It is super fun hunting other states, but not if they are 2-3K a piece.....at least not until I make more $$$.
Same here! I actually dropped out of WY last year when they raised the bonus point cost by $50. Very little point in chasing NR tags when we have it so good here at home!

KurtR

WKR
Im pretty much done with out of state big game hunting. Once Idaho went crazy it was over for me. I liked hunting with my brother but we are planning more waterfowl trips together and get to hunt more than just that one week.

Early 30’s here and I’m good until $1,500 or so. Above that, it better be a premium tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad just told me a few days ago he had to think about applying to Colorado for a cow tag at 700+ for the tag of drawn. So that might be his limit unless he can get a bull tag.

TheViking

WKR
You only get so many hunting seasons in your life.

As a colorado resident who has hunted out of state the last 4 years - worth every penny I’ve spent. I’ve gone 3/4 on archery elk hunts. Way less crowding, way better quality of animals which equals way better quality of hunts! OTC colorado just gets hammered. $57 for a tag is great, but success rate is much lower, crowds are many times higher and frustration levels can be through the roof. Dropping $1k on a tag isn’t a big deal for me knowing the quality will be there. I don’t have many other hobbies, so dropping an extra few hundred or even a grand on a tag isn’t a big deal for me. Some people think I’m crazy, but to each their own.

Next year my name will be in the draw for a NR Wyoming tag. $2k is gonna suck, but it will further weed out people, in theory making it an even better hunt experience. Work a little OT, watch what I spend on a few other things and it’ll all pan out to be the same at the end of the day.

CorbLand

WKR
Early 30s.

I build points in two states as a NR. Other than that just hunt my home state as that’s all the financials allow.

My breaking point will be when it gets to the point I cannot continue to pay my bills and take care of my family. Until it hits that, I will continue to try. I only do the two NR states because I have family in one and friends in the other. If not for that, I wouldn’t do it.

Last edited:
Next year my name will be in the draw for a NR Wyoming tag. $2k is gonna suck, but it will further weed out people, in theory making it an even better hunt experience. Work a little OT, watch what I spend on a few other things and it’ll all pan out to be the same at the end of the day.
I don't think it's going to weed anyone out. The tags will all sell regardless, but it may increase the odds for the special while decreasing regular draw odds.

I'm in until I die. I don't work all year to balk at the lowest hurdle.

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
Wife just ask me if I was going to retire early, I said I can’t I have to many hunts I want to go on. When I save up what I need for the hunt I go, regardless of the cost. Plan to do it until my body says I can’t.