Whats your game plan-Elk?

Bar

Banned
The lotto is a great option too. Mega million is over 400. But I really didn't know the Kentucky elk draw numbers are that bad. Looks like I should start saving up for a trip out west!

Yeah, long odds for your state, but we have lots of elk and tags here.

mauidiver

WKR
I want to do this sooo bad. Living in Austin Tx and on a budget, but just lost lease when season ended due to ranch being sold. So I now have a little money for gas, free info from guys like you and optimism is extremely helpful. Love some of your stories here. I'm thinking of figuring the closest place to drive from Austin Tx. ANd where to apply for tags and such. Got lots of homework to do. Good luck to yall this season. I'll be watching. Colin

I always put in for Arizona Archery elk, bull first choice, cow second choice and I usually draw a cow tag. I just love to hunt elk, eat elk, and be in the woods during elk season. Every once in a while I draw a bull tag too!

Mike

I started buying more lotto tickets as I have better odds. :). My plan is to concentrate on deer and if I see an elk I will be extremely happy. I will have my elk tag and deer tag.

ridgefire

WKR
Put in for near impossible tag here in wa, buy another pt for wyoming and go back to idaho with otc tag. Cmon sept. 15.

I've never called anyone out, but shrek, can you go back and edit your posts in this thread? We don't really need those kind of posts hear. Mike

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never called anyone out, but shrek, can you go back and edit your posts in this thread? We don't really need those kind of posts hear. Mike

I took care of it. I rarely exercise my moderation abilities around here, but to be honest I found it offensive too and it didn't add anything to the thread. This site has members from all over the US, and actually the world, who are united by a shared passion for hunting hard. There is no place for racist and blatantly offensive comments here.

Last edited:

topher89

WKR
I took care of it. I rarely exercise my moderation abilities around here, but to be honest I found it offensive too and it didn't add anything to the thread. This site has members from all over the US, and actually the world, who are united by a shared passion for hunting hard. There is no place for racist and blatantly offensive comments here.

Thanks!!!

Sooner

Lil-Rokslider
Leave from OK to CO. Buy tag. Stop and eat at Dam Brewery. Hike in. Step up camp. Kill my bull. Pack it out. Come home.

Lets hope it works out just like that.

Close to what we do sooner.

Will put in for CO draw unit. Decent chance of drawing, used to be almost guaranteed with the points we have, now it's iffy. If not will most likely go OTC.
Put in for Utah and Wyoming points.
Apply for OK elk, but odds are about like Kentucky's.
Also thought about a MT general deer tag.
Apply for SD west river rifle deer.
Outside chance to buy a SD archery deer tag if the other trips all fall through.

bz_711

WKR
6th straight year of OTC - Colorado. Our unit averages about 8% success rate for archery, but I cannot get myself to try anything else...beautiful country, meet up with a lot of repeat buddies from around the country...and I've tagged out the last 2 seasons. Odds are against me this year...but I cannot wait. I've also been very lucky to have my Dad take the trip with me the last couple seasons...and my group of buddies from IL should fill 2 trucks this year...it's hard to beat.

I also will have 6 points in CO, but cannot see any reason to use them as our group going west continues to get larger and larger...and I'll take OTC with my Dad & buddies till the end of time over top trophy units by myself...

I'm breaking my kids in on IL whitetails...but cannot wait until I take them West and no longer need a tag myself...just a pack frame and call for me then...
...and then that might be when I finally take my chance on a Moose somewhere (but just cannot skip an elk season anytime in near future)

JG358

WKR
My game plan? Buy tag, set up camp, hunt, then kill a bull. Simple game plan........hopefully will work to perfection. I know the elk always have other ideas, but that's what makes it fun and challenging.

That pretty much sums up my plans too except I'm planning to have a cow tag too. :)

Jim

FNG
The plan is to go to CO for my first elk hunt. It will be DIY and OTC, all on my own.

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
I have apps in WY and AZ, long odds but I hope they don't both hit! I have points for CO but not sure I want to use them this year as I have a meeting mid-sept in Phoenix which is when I'd like to be hunting (not sure it's worth it to go early). The AZ tag would be great but I have no points.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will be same as has been for last 10+ yrs. 3 nonresident OTC tags for idaho and Montana and maybe draw watershed tag in Wa....if draw kill 4 6pts DIY or die trying and continue to have fun each fall