Whats your game plan-Elk?

LitenFast

WKR
I hunted WY in 2011, CO in 2013 and should be heading back to WY in 2015 if my 2 preference points work like they should on a WY general tag.

My BIL lived in WY for the last 10 yrs but just moved to UT last spring, and as luck would have it my FIL who had been applying for the last 10yrs for both elk and bear in UT drew both in 2014! He drew a 3 corners tag up by the Flaming Gorge and scored on a nice 6 point that scores something like 350-360!

So I am starting to play the points game and so far I have a point each in CO, AZ, and UT.

Being from WI and planning on a trip a yr or every other year while the kids are young my plan is to hit up my unit in CO to keep building up my elk hunting experience and then work towards some sweet tags in a decade or two in the other states including WY. I am currently 28 and my BIL is 33 and he is beginning to apply in some of the same states, the sweet part is he is close enough to most of the states to do some scouting as we get farther down the road.

What are others game plans?

Shrek

WKR
My game plan is to put in for some ridiculously bad odds units and then take the general tag and go hunting. If I get ****** rich I'll go hunting in a couple of states for elk and deer instead of just one.

Last edited:

Bar

Banned
I can hunt my unit every year with no points, so my plan never changes.

danarnold

WKR
I've got 1 pt in Wy and hoping for a gen tag with it
hunted there in 12 & 13 with no points and was disappointed when we didnt draw in 14
other years it was a party of 6, this year party of 4

bone

FNG
I have 3 points for WY but don't think I can draw a tag according to WY draw result last year. I plan on going to CO OTC elk hunt this year.

Got a drop camp booked in colorado for muzzle loader. Should draw I have four points. Got 1 for deer and elk in wy and gonna get another this year. Been thinking on starting to gain deer amd elk for MT. Hopefully this drop camp will be fun. We did it for my dads 60th but ended up not drawing last year. If I don't draw my muzzle tag I will go archery or otc co rifle.

Really hoping to finally draw a resident KY tag this year! If not I will be headed out to OTC Colorado wilderness. I'm planning for the latter, collecting gear and clothes that I need.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
My game plan is to put in for some ridiculously bad odds units and then take the general tag and go hunting. If I get **** rich I'll go hunting in a couple of states for elk and deer instead of just one.

Shrek, you don't need to be rich to hunt all fall across the country. Just be single with no kids and self employed with great employees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shrek

WKR
Shrek, you don't need to be rich to hunt all fall across the country. Just be single with no kids and self employed with great employees.

I am self employed but no employees and my kid is in college. Two more years and I'm taking a full two and a half months off and hunting three states ! I also didn't say plain rich but ****** rich which means unexpected big chunk of change. Ten grand scratch off or something. I'd blow it hunting in a heartbeat :)

Last edited:
This year the plan is to hit idaho otc area. Also being from wisconsin myself, I have hunted colorado but want to try something different. Gonna plan on applying for points in wy but have to figure out where I want to hunt there. I like idaho otc as there isn't the pressure as some of co has and I can return year after year and get a good feel for the unit. What part of wisconsin are you from?

Topgun 30-06

Banned
I've got 1 pt in Wy and hoping for a gen tag with it
hunted there in 12 & 13 with no points and was disappointed when we didnt draw in 14
other years it was a party of 6, this year party of 4

Going into the Regular Draw for the General tag with 1PP this year will probably be about like last year or a little worse with about a 66.67% chance of drawing.

I just applied for my first Kentucky Elk draw. This would be my first time hunting elk other than in my dreams.

1hoda

Banned
OTC right here in CO. Keep building points- not sure why given point creep here.

OP
L

LitenFast

WKR
This year the plan is to hit idaho otc area. Also being from wisconsin myself, I have hunted colorado but want to try something different. Gonna plan on applying for points in wy but have to figure out where I want to hunt there. I like idaho otc as there isn't the pressure as some of co has and I can return year after year and get a good feel for the unit. What part of wisconsin are you from?

I live in Ellison Bay, Northeast of Green Bay on the Door County peninsula that sticks out into Lake Michigan

Bar

Banned
I just applied for my first Kentucky Elk draw. This would be my first time hunting elk other than in my dreams.

It may stay a dream. You have 39,000 hunters applying for 90 tags. It might be easier to win the lottery, and come to Colorado for an elk hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My game plan? Buy tag, set up camp, hunt, then kill a bull. Simple game plan........hopefully will work to perfection. I know the elk always have other ideas, but that's what makes it fun and challenging.

The lotto is a great option too. Mega million is over 400. But I really didn't know the Kentucky elk draw numbers are that bad. Looks like I should start saving up for a trip out west!