What's your calling strategy?

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Specifically for archery season.

Cory Jacobson - Bugle bugle bugle, get close cow call, then bugle back over the top. (Born and Raised do this too I think)
Joel Turner - Bull calling cow bugle
Gritty Bowman - Says he likes to spot and stalk or trail them and kill them in their bed.
Chris Roe - Cow and calf calls. Start slow and get aggressive if needed.
Elk Nut - Bugle until you find them. Get close then cow call. Get more aggressive slowly if needed.
I've heard people say that they mimic the bull.
I've heard people say that if you get a response to a cow call to keep cow calling and not bugle. And vice versa for bugles.

Hunting during late archery season in heavy timber with limited glassing spots, I've had best luck with the Elk Nut/Chris Roe strategy. Opening week I like to glass above tree line.

i like to think of my calling or hunting style(S), as very fluid when i think of all the different things i do and say on a hunt. you have to get in tight on these elk, to figure them out. im not just talking about being in tight on them occasionally either. there are many ways to get in tight too as we all know. hunting solo has really shaped what i do and how im doing it. which can be a whole lot different than what everyone else is doing. ;)

i like them being tight in my space too. when they come to me, advantage hunter every time. hunting timber, treeline, quakies, sage, oak, high elevation, low elevation is all part of that fluidity and willingness to adapt. i won't be a 1 dimensional hunter. im not a good enough hunter to be successful that way. so i opt for versatility and adapting ;) 🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
My first elk season coming up and I did get the elk nut app to learn more about Paul’s advice on different strategies. I plan on doing some bugling/locating in the dark, and working mostly timber with the blind/cold calling sequence and will adapt as necessary.

My first elk season coming up and I did get the elk nut app to learn more about Paul’s advice on different strategies. I plan on doing some bugling/locating in the dark, and working mostly timber with the blind/cold calling sequence and will adapt as necessary.

that's a great place to start. i employ Pauls tactics in one form or fashion "or another" everytime I have a bow in my hand in the elkwoods. i employ many other tactics from others and employ a few of my own too ;)

when in doubt, think "PlayBook" <grin>

cmbbulldog

Lil-Rokslider
If possible... no calling. Elk are easy to get close to if they are talking. I’d prefer they not know I am there. Usually have mouth reed in to stop a bull though at full draw.

i have used all tactics in different scenarios though.... but I think generally people way over call.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There are plenty of ways to kill an elk, but if I couldn't bugle I wouldn't be out there. It's not that much fun unless I'm just another bull out there in the mix. Which is probably why I'm not much of a deer hunter.

Ucsdryder

WKR
There are plenty of ways to kill an elk, but if I couldn't bugle I wouldn't be out there. It's not that much fun unless I'm just another bull out there in the mix. Which is probably why I'm not much of a deer hunter.

I feel 100 percent the same way. Nothing beats a bugle battle.

bugling just to bugle doesn't do much for me. been there, done that. now bugling with a purpose? been there and done that too. that's when shot opportunities happen ;) 🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹🏹

tjihrig

FNG

I will say this, if you get into an elky spot near a bedding area and use Paul’s cold calling- pay attention to every sound. Those buggers come in quiet for a peek. It for sure raises their curiosity and brings them in. But my experience is squirrels and the faint stick pop has been my only clue they’re coming to check me out. I’ve had it happen several times that I look up to see a bull standing there staring holes through me. It’s a great tactic though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
I will say this, if you get into an elky spot near a bedding area and use Paul’s cold calling- pay attention to every sound. Those buggers come in quiet for a peek. It for sure raises their curiosity and brings them in. But my experience is squirrels and the faint stick pop has been my only clue they’re coming to check me out. I’ve had it happen several times that I look up to see a bull standing there staring holes through me. It’s a great tactic though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to give it a try in 45 days!

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
I had my first September elk hunt last year and I really got an absolutely CRAMMED education on calling. Granted, I have called in elk in the past just never with a tag in my pocket. I called in 4 big herd bulls to shooting range and had an absolute blast. We were in deep wilderness with several unmolested herds of elk at our disposal.

Unfortunately, I wounded and did not recover the bull that I shot. 3 arrows, actually .

I am what I think should be called a "kitchen sink" kind of caller. I have been around good callers my whole life and I was able to kind of just pop the diaphragm in my mouth and do it. I went hard at groups of elk that were already engaged and basically each time I was able to get the herd bulls attention and get a close encounter.

I would bugle, creep in closer, bugle, get closer, and when I got in the red zone I'd go crazy cutting him off and going as nasty as I could. Mixed this in with cow calls in different directions. This was all with a large-bull sound.

We had a couple fails during the hunt but they mostly involved getting tangled with other hunters calling (early in the hunt before we went deeper in).

The biggest factor for my success out of the gate with calling was elk that were fresh and unhunted, I think. I'm sure I'll learn more the next time out but I suggest trying a very aggressive approach if you can find lightly pressured elk.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I don't think you can really classify / categorize yourself or even those people you mentioned that simply.

I would say that i call frequently, but my calling is situational.

Spike elk

WKR
Early in the season I am sitting in a tree stand and do not call at all. The latter half I hunt with two good friends and we have had good luck with cow calling and "herd talk" with all three or at least two of us calling.

I don't think you can really classify / categorize yourself or even those people you mentioned that simply.

I would say that i call frequently, but my calling is situational.

great way of putting that! situational! thats very broad. good reason to be able to hunt and or call in all situations. 🏹🏹🏹🏹

OP
C

corylee4870

Lil-Rokslider
Hahaha ^^^^^ this 150%%

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I could be off but pretty sure in episode 569 he said that he prefers to sneak in without them knowing he is there to shoot them in their bed. Have heard him say a few times his favorite time to kill one is midday in their bed.

I’ve tried Corey Jacobson’s Method twice and both times I screwed it up inside of 50 yards.

I’ve had good luck with locator bugles. Get close. Then a few cow calls and they come in silent or bugle back.

hobbes

WKR
Find elk....apply calls or ninja skills as I see necessary. I'm not sure that I'm worth a dang at either.