What's the deal with Klymit warmth ratings?

I know that Klymit r-values suffered after the ASTM standards came out. They'd always claimed r-values in the 4's for their insulated pads, but now they're in the 1's.

I guess the claim is that the ASTM standards don't do a good job measuring their design - the idea being that the ridges of the pad are insulated and the valleys in the pad allow for your sleeping bag to expand and give you the insulation you need.

Anyone with real-world experience with these pads - what was the warmth like? Do you buy their explanation of their warmth rating?

Drenalin

WKR
I had an insulated static v lite for a while, but I used it with a quilt. Very comfortable pad, and relatively wide and lightweight. Unfortunately, not warm in that configuration (for obvious reasons now) and no way would I switch back to a bag to give them another shot.

dhatter9

FNG
I have the insulated static v as well, and after an early season moose hunt up here in AK I am moving on. I was getting cold at night and could tell the ground was absorbing my warmth. My wife has Nemo tensor pad and the same sleeping bag as me and she was comfortable the whole time.

BDRam16

WKR
Used the insulated static V last season. Never got cold but it’s not a comfortable bad compared to other designs. It’s just too thin for a side sleeper. The only reason I haven’t sold mine is it’s my back up in the truck now.

I had one Klymit prior to the ASTM standard and it was radically overrated. I’ve never been as cold as the few nights I used it in the mountains. Unless they’ve completely redesigned their pads, I don’t believe their claim for a second.

I guess the claim is that the ASTM standards don't do a good job measuring their design - the idea being that the ridges of the pad are insulated and the valleys in the pad allow for your sleeping bag to expand and give you the insulation you need.
I can see the flaw in their logic. They are saying their pad allows the bag to insulate more. The problem to me is that they are building this idea into their rating. The pad should be measured on its own abilities. They dont know the insulation of the bag being used.

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Worth noting that there were a ton of good reviews on this site and elsewhere of klymit insulated pads before the ratings came out and everyone learned that they were cold.

Matt G.

WKR
I moved on as well. I was way to cold and it not a good pad for side sleeper.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk