What’s everyone’s go to shooting rest?

TheGDog

WKR
I'm no long range sniper, so a monopod is all I need on most trips.

I know NONE of you knows what I'm talking about here, but I'm somehow simultaneously a big spender on hunting gear AND a cheapskate. So despite owning a Primos Trigger-stick tripod, a Triclawps gun mount for my Sirui tripod, and a mix of bipods from Harris and Swagger, I just use my hiking stick. :)

I took a Cascade trekking pole from Costco, drilled a hole in the top, and epoxied in about a 2" length of 1/4-20 all-thread. I left about a quarter inch sticking out. On this I mounted a V-style rifle yoke I got off Amazon, some generic brand. I think it was $15.

I hunt with the yoke mounted so I'm ready for any snap-shot need. (My last two elk were taken this way, standing.) One was 90 yards away, the other was 160. I'd say I'd be confident out to about 200 yards with this setup but 150 is about the sweet spot. For anything longer I shoot off my pack.

This means I also always have a monopod handy for glassing, which is nice when I'm hiking with my 15x56's - some support is nice for them but they don't always require a tripod like a spotting scope would. This particular model also has a double-height grip, so I can leave the stick tall enough for shooting while shifting my hand down for a more comfortable hike. I never adjust its length, I just leave it "tall" all day. If I'm shooting at an angle and need it shorter, I step forward a bit so it's at an angle.

Thanks man. I recently saw a pic of a hunter setup that way and I think I'm going to try something like that, just placing a Yoke on the top of my Trekking Pole.

I've been bringing along the thin Qwik-stiks.. and I like them a darn lot when trying to shoot rabbits or other small targets like ground squirrels. But I'm kind of thinking for this particular Alpine area I have in mind for deer... since I need to pack my tripod with me as well, and the climb is tough, and there's *usually* a tree nearby up there to hold the rifle onto the side off. Thinking ditch the Qwik-stiks and use the trekking pole or the pack. And also can just tilt the outdoorsmans Pistol Grip head over on it's side as well if some kind longer opportunity presented itself, and gave enough time to setup for. But usually the encounters are closer distances.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Looking into buying swagger bipod for my coyote gun. Figured I’d ask if anybody had some experience with them first. Or what are everybody’s favorite shooting rests for predator calling?
I grabbed a swagger for the purpose of sitting height shooting and to be able to pan easily with legs not binding or hopping like a Harris would. Haven't used it a bunch yet, but have played with it and it is pretty functional

This is not the one with the huge section that mounts to your stock, this one has a clip for a pic rail, is almost as minimal as shooting sticks

Last edited:

KnCaffre

FNG
I'm just starting out with the predator game. Anyone have a "best bang for your buck" recommendation for a tripod setup?

Depends on the situation. Trekking poles, Magpul bipod, or clip in to my tripod with an Outdoorsmans QD plate.

yeahkkyle

FNG
Day hunting I use a swagger bipod but most of my hunting is done at night. Innorel RT90C tripod with RRS Anvil 30 head but switching to the RRS TA-2U leveling base once it delivers tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ralphie

WKR
For years I used a pair of cut down cross country ski poles with a cross bolt through them and heat shrink tubing.

Now I’m using the short primos tripod trigger sticks with a Spartan davros. And a Spartan bipod. Depending on the stand I do both sitting and prone. Sometimes both on the same stand.

YotaEER

Lil-Rokslider
heavy front bag to zero and load develop

RRS tripod with Anvil out in the field, 100% of the time. Varmints, deer, steel etc. Haven't used a bipod in years.

yeahkkyle

FNG
heavy front bag to zero and load develop

RRS tripod with Anvil out in the field, 100% of the time. Varmints, deer, steel etc. Haven't used a bipod in years.
I've been running an Innorel rt90c with the RRS Anvil but recently switched to the RRS leveling base. Not sure if you've tried a leveling base but definitely better for panning or follow up shots. Always felt the Anvil locked down good, was quick to move but if you open the throw lever 1/4" too far it went from sturdy to almost floppy. The TA-2U leveling base locks down even better and panning is much more controlled. Not sure if you've noticed the same thing with the Anvil-30. Most likely due to a 30mm ball vs the larger leveling base.

R55

FNG
Atlas bipod and Two Vets Kit v2 tripod (cause RRS was crazy backlogged) paired with RRS Anvil 30. Tripod hunting is worth the extra weight for me.