What would you say is the wildest part of Colorado?

CoElkMan

FNG
I need a good 10 day backpacking trip this summer and I don't plan on leaving the state. I've been all over it, and I know the answer is the San Juans (or is it), but this could be an interesting discussion and I know there's a lot of knowledge on this board. I just want to get away from tourists, day hikers, casual backpackers, etc., and hunting season is too far away.

Not an expert on the topic by any means but there are parts of the Weminuche once off the beaten path that can be extremely remote. Lots of access to water, and you have good a good trail system to get in out of your “jumping off” point. Plus you can leave you car in Durango or Silverton and get off the train to a trailhead. I have hiked it twice, though I stuck to the marked trails. Only place we ever ran into more than a few people was in Chicago Basin. Kind of base camp for the summiting the 3 14er’s there, so it can get congested if the weather is right.

Last edited:

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
My cousin lives off the grid a couple miles east of Crawford, CO, up a dead end road. When you drive to the end of the road, he says that it's 55 miles of wilderness between there and Crested Butte. I would love to hike that some day. He's spent some time hiking in there. He works in Crested Butte a couple days a week and drives his motorcycle over the forest service roads to get there in the summer. I don't believe there are many trails where he hikes though.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Try and find a high alpine basin in a wilderness that doesn’t have a marked trail, there’s a few of them left. You will probably still see someone but the non-hunting traffic thins out fast when you get well off of marked trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the South San Juan wilderness area. Did a week long backpack a few years ago and ran into very few people. The Sangres are also an area that sometimes gets overlooked if you stay away from the sand dunes and 14ers. That being said, there is absolutely no way to avoid other people in Colorado for an extended if you stay on the trail. You may go a day or two if you can get way back in the deep woods but there are always a few people you'll bump in to. This is especially true if you want to be near any body of water.

LFC911

WKR
I've been to the Weminuche Wilderness and the Sangre's and saw people in both. Both have rugged parts but the former is more rugged in my minds eye and opinion.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Probably run into less people trekking across the grasslands at this point… maybe spots of unit 1? Almost 0 roads in and out of there…

TaperPin

WKR
The 14ers and other major peaks draw a bunch of people, even if it’s in the middle of nowhere. Colorado must have the most peak baggers - it can be almost funny to watch. Lol

Hnthrdr

WKR
The 14ers and other major peaks draw a bunch of people, even if it’s in the middle of nowhere. Colorado must have the most peak baggers - it can be almost funny to watch. Lol
What’s wild is after they “bag” the 14’ers they go to 13’ers 12’ers and so on. Heck had folks hiking yo the peak of a pretty lackluster 11.5 cause they were bagging it