What would cause a rifle to shoot this poorly?

SDHNTR

WKR
Please don’t sent the ol gal out to pasture just yet. Bed that scope rail. Then bed the receiver, lighten the trigger and I bet you wind up with a shooter. Simple stuff. That era M70 was known for sloppy inletting.

And easy test to see if it needs or would benefit from bedding. Put the barreled action back in the stock. Tighten the guard screws just snug, not really tight. Reach up to the forend with one hand and put your thumb or fingers on the junction of the stock and the barrel. Where wood meets steel. Then, with the other hand tighten the guard screws alternately front and back. Can you feel the barrel move when you adjust the screws? If yes, it needs bedding!

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Please don’t sent the ol gal out to pasture just yet. Bed that scope rail. Then bed the receiver, lighten the trigger and I bet you wind up with a shooter. Simple stuff. That era M70 was known for sloppy inletting.

And easy test to see if it needs or would benefit from bedding. Put the barreled action back in the stock. Tighten the guard screws just snug, not really tight. Reach up to the forend with one hand and put your thumb or fingers on the junction of the stock and the barrel. Where wood meets steel. Then, with the other hand tighten the guard screws alternately front and back. Can you feel the barrel move when you adjust the screws? If yes, it needs bedding!
Thanks man. I'm not getting rid of her, I have a safe full of old guns that never get used haha. She's in good company.

I will put it back together. I'm launching another business this summer so time is limited.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk