What was the best thing you ate in Elk Camp this year?

Tuna packets mixed with condiment sized mayo packets we got from gas stations on the drive out, walnuts, and dried cranberry’s all on bread.

Hit the spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
The key to a good truck camp is to hunt with a guy or 2 that thinks dinner is the most important part of the trip. Lasagna, ribs, pulled pork, bear meatball and pasta, elk stew and sloppy joes. All home made. We always eat good.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
Fresh young of the year wild turkey arrowed while elk hunting solo in eastern Oregon.

My best of the season has been half a packet of bear creek minestrone with about 1/3lb of dehydrated elk burger and some barley thrown in. I went light on the water and made it very thick.

hobbes

WKR
Tough decision. (LOL) I ate the exact same thing every single day for 19 straight days.
Hmm, let's see, was it the:
  • Instant oatmeal - with cold water.
  • Instant mash potatoes - with cold water.
  • Trail mix.
  • Protein powder.
  • Two balance bars.
  • Peanuts. Cashews.

I'd say it has to be the balance bars.
Holy crap!! You really need to come up with some variety. :)

Gerbdog

WKR
Freeze dried green chili stew from a family friend whos making his own freeze dried meals - added a packet of instant mashed potatos to it when it was done : tasty!

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
I cooked up antelope backstrap that my son killed a couple of weeks before the archery elk opener, then did some elk steaks, and another night I cooked some walleye.

Elk butterfly filets from the previous year with mashed potatoes. Didn’t close the deal this year, so we enjoyed the fruits of my labor from then.

Maverick1

WKR
Holy crap!! You really need to come up with some variety. :)
It’s kind of easier to just have the same thing everyday. Pack it so everything fits inside a quart-size ziploc bag. So, I just grab one ziploc bag for each day I plan on hunting. No stove. No fuel. No pot. No cup. Compared to some of the awesome meals on this thread, kind of Spartan I suppose.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 25

HoneyDew

WKR
It’s kind of easier to just have the same thing everyday. Pack it so everything fits inside a quart-size ziploc bag. So, I just grab one ziploc bag for each day I plan on hunting. No stove. No fuel. No pot. No cup. Compared to some of the awesome meals on this thread, kind of Spartan I suppose.
Not sure how long even Spartans could do that. I give you credit and I’m not sure what climate you hunt. But my morale and eventually body wouldn’t want to go more than three days without a warm meal.

Pretty amazed at y'all's culinary commitment in elk camp. I too truck camped and easy was always my goal. Eat quick, get some rack, eat again, take care of the morning paperwork, get back on the mountain.

Favorite differed on the day. Some days homemade protein granola, sometimes spicy cheerios, sometimes just a tuna packet apple and cinnamon tea. Others Next Mile Meals chicken broccoli casserole, Wild Zora Chicken or Mountain Stew, and if moving camp, ham swiss spinach rolled into a corn tortilla while driving to the next spot.

I miss Uncle Bill as a hunting partner. I remember a spring turkey hunt with elk walking through camp and eating pork chops and fried taters from his old cast iron skillet. That boy always ate good on the mountain. Thirty years my senior and in his 50s he could still out hike me!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had bone-in ribeyes three times this season. I could have had them for every meal, as those never seem to get old. Also had baby back ribs a couple times (precooked) that I grill up to make them crispy on the edges. Both are excellent in base camp.

My big meal is always lunch, I don't have time to grill anything or spend time with dinner as I'm out hunting during dinner time. Then back in camp after dark, all I want is Ramen or a bowl of cereal then to bed.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Mississippi Elk Roast with mashers… Elk chili, elk steaks, ribeyes. First year not backpacking, the food and sleeping in a comfy bed were the only perks. Turning around at 9am to hike out leaving bugling elk to get back to the cabin to help with the 6 week old baby was tough, super glad that I got to hunt and bag a heck of a bull

I certainly don't have the elaborate camp others do. Therefore, I look forward to Honey Stinger waffles with almond butter. Specifically vanilla waffles with RX honey cinnamon peanut butter. It's like eating dessert. It's my "mountain crack".

My second favorite is my wife's granola with milk powder. Add some hot water and enjoy with some coffee and I'm good to go!
708ad4e8260adacc78a6fb9f9036ef7d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Pineapple upside-down cake made in a dutch oven on the fire was awesome. My FIL came along to fish and hunt small game and show off his camp cooking abilities! Whenever we went back to the truck camp food was hot and ready!

Attachments

• 04BCBAAA-4CEC-4A17-A353-04E08E9A71D2.jpeg
    04BCBAAA-4CEC-4A17-A353-04E08E9A71D2.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 8