what to do outside mid-sept East side of the sierras?

Macintosh

WKR
The wife and I are going to be on the southern end of the sierras in mid sept for a few days. We have a couple days we'll be on the east side that are unplanned. Last time I was through there was in the mid 90's on a climbing trip, so I'm sure a lot has changed and we wont be looking for rocks to climb and I'm totally unfamiliar with the area as far as anything else to do outside. Without any specific locations, are there things to do we should plan on? We'll have day-hiking and fly fishing gear with us, we're planning to put a hurt on any seedy taco joints we run into, so I sort of envisioned getting up higher to avoid scalding hot temps, doing some hiking on any obscure (does that exist?) hikes especially if we might see some critters, wet a fly in any streams that actually have water (?), probably will check out the bristlecones at some point, etc...but any insight is highly appreciated here or via PM. Thanks in advance.

Zach75

FNG
It will be tough to find a hike in that area that won’t have plenty of other people on the trail.

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
East side of the sierras has incredible trout fishing. If you feel like hunting, an OTC bear tag is good in any unit where deer season is open. Some spots on the eastern side are loaded with bears.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
We wont be hunting, but would be cool to see some deer and bears while out. If we go poking around areas that have some hiking trails is it likely we screw up someones hunt, or are things spread out pretty well? Seems like most of the area is national forest but not sure on amount of pressure and people.