What time day do you move camp

sacklunch

WKR
I mostly backpack hunt. And I struggle every year with deciding when to pack up. I like to have camp on my back so if I get get into animals, I can stay in the area and be on them that next morning.

I typically have been getting up an hour early and packing up in dark as by afternoon I'm usually a ways away by lunch and don't want to miss the evening hunt to move.

What are you folks doing most often and what drives that decision?

Wake up early, pack up while breakfast is hydrating. Try to keep everything organized at night so it's quick and easy, 15 minutes or less to break camp. If I'm moving camp every day, I use a bivy and tarp to keep it simple, tents are only for base camping. I also try to position my camps so I can sit and glass a bit while I eat breakfast and get everything situated for the day. If I spot animals, I may make a move prior to breaking anything down. I also hunt all day, so don't ever plan on wasting energy coming back to a camp between the morning and evening prime time for lunch or to break it down. Have harvested several animals within 500-1000 yards of camp this way, so what I'm seeing/ hearing first thing will dictate whether or not I pack up. If the elk I put to bed at night are still there, getting after them is a higher priority than anything else.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
I'm fairly well organized, but even with just my outer tent, no inner, no guy-out lines unless it's windy, etc...still takes me 30+ to pack up in the dark...moat of that being rolling my pad and bag up.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Keep it simple in camp and collect gear that breaks down fast. Under no circumstances anymore do i leave camp set up and go on a morning hunt without it. To many times ive regretted that, so i always pack up at daylight and get moving. I typically locate and glass at daylight and hunts bulls once they go to bed. Most all of my elk have been shot between 10am-2pm. Biggest mistake I've learned is moving across a canyon while the elk are still out feeding to find them in a different timber patch then what I thought. If in a area where glassing isn't a option im running a ridge and locating off each side and waiting tell thermals switch either way.

This year, I woke up, stuck my head out, saw a bull less than 100 yards away ghosting down the ridge in the predawn. Left camp in a hurry with just the essentials, and killed that bull within 30 minutes of first legal shooting light. Pretty sure if I had screwed around with packing, eating, or anything else, he would have been in the timber before I had a shot at him. I pretty much ran down the ridge after him, with just my binos and rifle. It's definitely situational. I actually ran over to the knob I had seen him disappear over in my socks and base layer with my rifle, but he was down ridge a bit already, so I put on pants and boots and took off after him.

If I had seen elk 1/2 mile away, I would have packed up while watching them, then headed out. But when there are animals right there, I'll walk back and get my camp if I blow the stalk. Bow hunting I would be more likely to pack up, as I tend to trail them until I have an opportunity. Rifle, I'm going to hustle for a shot opportunity.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
This year, I woke up, stuck my head out, saw a bull less than 100 yards away ghosting down the ridge in the predawn. Left camp in a hurry with just the essentials, and killed that bull within 30 minutes of first legal shooting light. Pretty sure if I had screwed around with packing, eating, or anything else, he would have been in the timber before I had a shot at him. I pretty much ran down the ridge after him, with just my binos and rifle. It's definitely situational. I actually ran over to the knob I had seen him disappear over in my socks and base layer with my rifle, but he was down ridge a bit already, so I put on pants and boots and took off after him.

If I had seen elk 1/2 mile away, I would have packed up while watching them, then headed out. But when there are animals right there, I'll walk back and get my camp if I blow the stalk. Bow hunting I would be more likely to pack up, as I tend to trail them until I have an opportunity. Rifle, I'm going to hustle for a shot opportunity.
Nice...but woulda been an even cooler story if you shot him in your drawers

Last edited:
Nice...but woulda been an even cooler story if you shot him in your drawers
One year bow hunting, I was taking care of business at camp, with my pants around my ankles, and my bow just slightly out of reach leaning against a tree when a dozen cows ran by me at less than 10 yards.... I almost managed to reach my bow before I spooked them. Now that would have been an excellent story. Pants down grip-n-grin would have been mandatory.