What size of Tipi

R

red

I am looking for a new tent to use as a base camp for moose/elk fly in hunts. I am looking for light weight, room for two cots and able to set up a wood stove. In my search so far the only thing that will fit the bill is a tipi. Never using one before, what size do I need? Would the 8 man Kifaru tipi be big enough? I'll be hunting with my old man (now in his 60's) so I don't want something he will have to crawl around in.

Cheers!

OP
R

red

Thanks for the replies. Is there much difference between the Seek Outside and Kifaru Tipis? Also, how easy/hard are they to set up? Would I be able to set up the 12 man by myself?

Thanks again.

Gman

WKR
I can't comment on the difference in the tipis -- but I'm very happy with my Kifaru and yes, you can set it up yourself no problem. I'm usually a one man show while the rest of my companions watch.

An 8 man Kifaru is just great for 2 guys, gear and firewood. I used one in the Brooks Range in 2009 and it was invaluable. High winds and snow and we were comfy inside with the medium size stove. If you're going lightweight, Kifaru or Titanium Goat make great tipis.

to the difference between the seek outside and kifaru tipis.
We have a seek outside tipi. The kifaru tipi's zipper does not have a rain flap and it was been said that during a heavy rain it leaks at the zipper.
I have not experienced this personally but have been told that this is the case.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The rain driven into my tipi by 40 mph winds for 3 days straight never made in through the zipper from what I noticed. A flap over the zipper could be nice if this became an issue, but so far so good.

We experienced a little bit of this in a Ti Goat tipi on Kodiak last fall. When we would have a good consistent rain the zipper would leak at the top of the door. It wasn't all that big of a deal you just learned really quick not to sit in front of the door when it was raining.

I only have experience with Kifaru tipis. Lightweight backcountry palaces. The tipis are awesome. Bombproof and backed by a great company.
I have an 8 man. Perfect for 2-3 guys gear and wood. I love it

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
8 man tipi would work but a 12 man would be even better IMHO. The Kifaru 12 man with a large or arctic stove is a good choice. I have had water drip in on occasion from the top of the zipper in my 12 man tipi but it has never bothered me based on the location of cots or bivy sacks. My buddy sewed a triangular piece of silnylon over the top of the zipper in his 4 man tipi because stuff would get wet. The roll-a-cot at 10 pounds is also a good lightweight cot option for a weight restricted fly in. I think when you go ultralight with the cots (luxury-lite; 2 pounds,etc) you give up the comfort factor associated with the height of a full size cot. All the best.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
8 man tipi would work but a 12 man would be even better IMHO. The Kifaru 12 man with a large or arctic stove is a good choice. I have had water drip in on occasion from the top of the zipper in my 12 man tipi but it has never bothered me based on the location of cots or bivy sacks. My buddy sewed a triangular piece of silnylon over the top of the zipper in his 4 man tipi because stuff would get wet. The roll-a-cot at 10 pounds is also a good lightweight cot option for a weight restricted fly in. I think when you go ultralight with the cots (luxury-lite; 2 pounds,etc) you give up the comfort factor associated with the height of a full size cot. All the best.

Yep, my Large Kifaru keeps the place t-shirt temps and warmer down into the teens. Likely could be lower than that, but thats as cold as I saw during moose season was 13 degrees on morning...couldn't get the stove fired up fast enough. :D

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't comment on the difference in the tipis -- but I'm very happy with my Kifaru and yes, you can set it up yourself no problem. I'm usually a one man show while the rest of my companions watch.

Your companions sound intriguing....it appears they also enjoy super short camp chairs and a good game of Sorry! :)

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks for the replies. Is there much difference between the Seek Outside and Kifaru Tipis? Also, how easy/hard are they to set up? Would I be able to set up the 12 man by myself?

Thanks again.

The main differences would be construction, materials, features like stake loops, rain flaps, sod skirt, also pole material, and price is a big one too. Do some searching and you'll find a good thread or two here.

I've stayed in an 8 man and it would be a good size for two or three with gear.

Last edited: