What pieces do I need?

JHAYES

FNG
I'm going on an archery elk hunt mid September in Colorado. I know I'm needing some extra layers, but wondering what you guys recommend. I have a set of lightweight core bottoms, lightweight hoody, and traverse pants. I'd like to get something like the kelvin active jacket, but wondering what jackets y'all are liking.

OP
J

JHAYES

FNG
Looks like you have base layers and pants covered; I'd consider adding a mid-layer of some sort, a puffy jacket and rain gear (and possibly a lightweight wind layer).

A recent review on a few mid-layer pieces

https://www.rokslide.com/mid-layer-shootout-review/
Thanks for the input! I'm planning to just use my frogtoggs for my rain gear this year to save a little and put that money towards some other gear.

OP
J

JHAYES

FNG
These should round out what you’ve got:

If money is no option-

If money is an option:
Columbia Men's Ascender Hooded Softshell Jacket https://a.co/d/4kpd5mp

Unfortunately, money is a consideration. But most of the stuff i have seen in the budget friendly sector does not come in tall sizes. I like the looks of that columbia jacket though!

OP
J

JHAYES

FNG
Unfortunately, money is a consideration. But most of the stuff i have seen in the budget friendly sector does not come in tall sizes. I like the looks of that columbia jacket though!
And it does have the option for large tall

ljaq516

FNG
So if you’re familiar with John Barlow, he’s got a pretty sensible system of what you need for any particular hunt or backcountry adventure. He breaks it down into 8 essential pieces
1. And 2. Are base layer top and bottoms
3. Pants
4. Mid layers/active insulation
5. Some type is wind stopper
6. Static insulation
7. And 8. Rain gear top and bottom

Here’s an example of a list he made. And he’s biased to Sitka bc he’s the product manager for their big game line.

202bb1f8b17218a508ee4b9b141047a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ljaq516

FNG
In terms of mid layer/active insulation, I have the Sitka ambient jacket. I’m a fan of that piece. Granted I used it for whitetail and I’m not hiking that far in, I do keep it on hiking cold mornings and it breathes well enough to where I don’t feel I need to shed that layer. Keeps me warm in the tree till temps drop and I need a puffy. I think it’s a versatile piece and worth checking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
but wondering what jackets y'all are liking.
I'm not big on jackets on Sept elk hunts. I also don't worry about a wind layer. Most of the time I'll just use varying weights of fleece between my base and camo shirt if I need an insulation layer. Fleece is cheap, especially if you get it at thrift stores.

Jethro

WKR
Kuiu Kenai. That, a merino top and your lightweight hoody will get you through 95% of CO archery. Doesn't pack as small as a down puffer, but its quiet. I prefer hoodless cause I don't need an insulated hood in Sept.

I have a Sitka mountain jacket as a soft shell wind layer, but that gets almost zero use in Sept. If I need some wind protection/extra layer I put on my rain jacket.

Sept CO, odds are you'll spend more time being hot, than you will cold. Bring tee shirts.