What is the current best deal for an Elk hunting optic? (Around $1k)

I've had most of the scopes mentioned. The SHV is the best of what's been mentioned as far as ruggedness and holding zero, IME. I am running 3 of that model right now. All have been very solid, all are MOAR reticle. I love the ruggedness, size and X range, but I wish they offered an FFP/Mil version. Such as it is, I can live with a SFP that tops out at 10 and is MOA.

Another option to look at if you want more X would be the SWFA 3-15. There's nothing flashy about them, but they're very tough, comparatively lightweight for their size, and they have a fantastic hunting reticle (MQ) that's very usable throughout the X range without being lit. I tried the model years back and the glass was pretty mediocre; I picked one up last summer when everything else was on back order, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much better the view is than what I remembered. Right now I have the 3-15 on a 300 win mag. It pretty well lives at 6-8x and rarely gets turned up, but the extra X can be handy for getting a quick closer look and for messing around at really long range targets. I'll be picking up more of them.

If you want even more X, SWFA has a smoking deal going on their 5-20 HD. Glass is very good on the HD models and they also have the fantastic MQ reticle. They are also offered lit if that's your thing.