What is the current best deal for an Elk hunting optic? (Around $1k)

EDIT: Update!! Got the NF SHV 3-10 and mounted it. Love it! I think I might want more magnification down the road, but this will work for sure.

ac0d9a5d00eb85a83cb90bc08dcffe44.jpg

808b81091e2cb1e49298c1ce10b1faa4.jpg

I’m trying to decide on what optic to top off my Weatherby MK V 300win. Primarily will be used on an elk hunt this fall in Montana. 300-500 yards will be the potential range, likely being toward the bottom end of that.

That being said, I like magnification. Especially for load development/range time. My 308 has a Razor HD LHT 3-15 and that seems about perfect.

Currently I’m thinking about the Leupold VX-5HD, Swaro Z3, or??

Hoping to stay lightweight, and also want capped turrets if possible.

Yes, I’m aware of the drop testing. No, I won’t be convinced any of the scopes mentioned above won’t work and I’ll come home without a kill due to my optic choice.. I’m asking because I’m not aware of all of the best choices and where to find them at the best prices!

I get a great deal on Leupold products, so that’s a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
I’m trying to decide on what optic to top off my Weatherby MK V 300win. Primarily will be used on an elk hunt this fall in Montana. 300-500 yards will be the potential range, likely being toward the bottom end of that.

That being said, I like magnification. Especially for load development/range time. My 308 has a Razor HD LHT 3-15 and that seems about perfect.

Yes, I’m aware of the drop testing. No, I won’t be convinced any of the scopes mentioned above won’t work and I’ll come home without a kill due to my optic choice.. I’m asking because I’m not aware of all of the best choices and where to find them at the best prices!

There’s a sweet Z5 for sale on the classifieds…😎

PNWGATOR

WKR
A scope needs to hold zero, dial precisely and return to zero. It needs to have a functional reticle. It’s pretty simple.

Puzzles me why anyone would choose an optic that doesn’t perform these key functions or wasn’t equipped with a functional reticle...especially when they’re aware of the testing, process and results.

In regards to magnification, less is often more in all applications.

Don’t be in a hurry to make a bad decision.

Not sure what zoom range you're wanting but I'd look at a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42. Missed out on the Christmas sales but the going rate is $985 on all the websites. It has capped turrets. Has an illuminated plex reticle or illuminated moar reticle.
The plex should get get you out to 400ish yds with a 300wm without dialing and just using the bottom of the plex where wide line and thin line meet. But depends on what ballistics your load has. It's exactly 5moa from center to top of wide line. That's if you don't mind holding over instead of precision dialing but you have the option to dial as well
That's the scope I'd put my money on over those other two, but thats just me and my opinion.

cmahoney

WKR

Man, if you aren’t worried about a solid scope your options are endless. I’d say anything made in China would be your best bet. Otherwise for $1,000 I’d get an SHV.

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider

I think you're on the money for the VX-5HD. Make it CDS with the firedot duplex reticle. You can get a vx-3 in a 4.5-14 for a little less. My ideal would be the VX-6HD in 3-18.

TN2shot07

WKR
I like my vx5 and I would put it on par with a Zeiss v4 and your razor. I just picked up my first z3 and am looking forward to seeing how it does. If I was wanted extra magnification I would step up to a z5, I’ve been fighting the urge to try the one in the classifieds…

Trijicon Credo (HX) and Tenmile (HX) are tough to beat at that price point.

With Vortex and Leupold raising their prices last year $200-$300 on the Razor LHT and the VX5 HD models, they lost any value proposition that they once had.

OP
allstajacket
Trijicon Credo (HX) and Tenmile (HX) are tough to beat at that price point.

With Vortex and Leupold raising their prices last year $200-$300 on the Razor LHT and the VX5 HD models, they lost any value proposition that they once had.

Fortunately the discount I get on Leupold makes it still very obtainable!

Thanks. Just grabbed a nightforce SHV 3-10!

Great choice! Did you find any deals on it?
Nightforce offers le/military, first responder, veteran discounts through their website. I've heard the wait period is a while though because they don't just send out one already on the shelf. My guess they build one to order for you and thoroughly qc even more than normal it before it goes out. Just a hunch.

OP
allstajacket
Great choice! Did you find any deals on it?
Nightforce offers le/military, first responder, veteran discounts through their website. I've heard the wait period is a while though because they don't just send out one already on the shelf. My guess they build one to order for you and thoroughly qc even more than normal it before it goes out. Just a hunch.

Snagged one off of the classifieds here!

JP1200

FNG
Thanks. Just grabbed a nightforce SHV 3-10!

That scope will work out great for you. I use the same on my 7RM and will probably buy another for a 308. It really fits right in that goldilocks zone for me. That said, I have since moved to a 5-25 nx8 on my 30 Nosler for elk.

OP
allstajacket
You could have done a LOT worse. Enjoy!

Thanks! Might throw a higher power scope on for load development, but I’m guessing 10x will be fine for hunting. Though I typically like a bit more magnification than most. My 100-150 yard whitetail shots I’m typically at ~10x.