What is the best area to start a outfitting business

clopper54

FNG
I'm starting to guide for elk this year with a outfit in southern Colorado and in the future I would like to start my own outfitting business. I have a passion for elk hunting and all kinds of fishing.

Does anyone have any recommendations on some GPS coordinates of a place where I could set up shop and come close to cash flow?

It would be ideal if it were an hour within a decent college that I can utilize my G.I. Bill.

Are there any niches in the outfitting world that could be profitable for a poor boy to make a living Hunting fishing and loving every day (no homo)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your asking people for GPS so you can outfit. Interesting. You better check on permitting to see what's open for your business.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jon Boy

WKR
I don't think you'll make it long in the industry after reading this post but the best way would be to work for an outfitter for several seasons and then buy them out when they retire. Good luck.

OP
clopper54

clopper54

FNG
Im kidding about the gps coordanates

OP
clopper54

clopper54

FNG
Your asking people for GPS so you can outfit. Interesting. You better check on permitting to see what's open for your business.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am guiding for a outfitter this year but in the next few I would like to start my own business.

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
I Googled hunting outfitters for sale and found quite a few. Huntingoutfitterforsale.com. wyoga.org. unitedcountry.com has a colorado outfit for sale and so does huntingnet.com. good luck

IdahoElk

WKR
How long have you been a guide?
They only allocate so many outfitter licenses here in Idaho,it's not like you can just pick a spot with great hunting and start a business.
If you're really interested I would join the outfitters association for your state and see if any outfitters are selling their business.
Good luck

OP
clopper54

clopper54

FNG
I'm trying to get an idea of where would be the best place to get my own buisness started. I also wanted to get some other ideas of how to make that more profitable. I'm looking for suggestions how to get into the outfitting industry. I realize that this is going to take more than one year to start my own outfit but I want to make sure that I am taking the right steps towards that goal. Excuse me for my humor about GPS coordinates I already know where the elk are, I am just looking for areas that could provide more year round buisness like Jackson, WY where I could stay busy all year. I also wanted suggestions for niches like trail riding, high country fly fishing trips or underwater basket weaving.

IdahoElk

WKR
Work for an outfitter for a few years and learn the ropes and see if this is what you want to do before spending lots of $$$

2rocky

WKR
Experience as many outfits, seasons, game species, and clients as you can over 3 years or so.
Get contact information from each of your satisfied clients. Stay in touch with them through email or a blog.
Get involved with the State outfitter organizations. Maintain your certifications and licenses yourself. Volunteer at tradeshows, and conventions. I got my first guiding job in college by putting on a dummy roping contest at an IOGA convention.
Develop a good reputation among the other outfitters. Especially in the area of Trustworthiness, Capability, Honesty, and Hard Work. When you establish that, the outfitters will come to you to buy their outfit, or partner in theirs.
Be leery of an area that has never been outfitted. There is a reason.
If you still want to own an outfit after 3 years of employment in the guiding business, you have a track record, experience and references.
Save 15% of every penny you make.
And to be an outfitter you had better DAMN WELL be a People person. Because THAT is what the client is paying for even if they say "all they care about is the Hunt". I seriously think a person could become an Anti-Hunter guiding for a season because all of a client's insecurities, fears, and bad behaviors come out when they go on a guided hunt. There are days where all you are doing is babysitting. That is guiding. To be a good one, you have to be OK with a client shooting an animal that you know with all of your heart, he or she DOES NOT deserve. I couldn't handle that part so I decided I wouldn't be a hunting guide as a career.

The only thing missing from the above posts is to tell you that if you really want to make it happen then don't get discouraged even if it takes 10 years.

If you google any state with the game and weapon/type of hunt you will find many options. I doubt you can be financially successful starting a guiding business in what seems to be a saturated market after only a few years guiding/experience.

I would say take it slow, stay your course and learn as much as you possible can prior to spending the amount of money it will take to start a good buainess

Also weigh the fact that guiding and running the business will be different animals

You will be giving up your own hunting time as well. I have talked to many fishing guides who have become jaded by turning something they love into a job

Bottom line is If you want to make it happen then make it happen

OP
clopper54

clopper54

FNG
Experience as many outfits, seasons, game species, and clients as you can over 3 years or so.
Get contact information from each of your satisfied clients. Stay in touch with them through email or a blog.
Get involved with the State outfitter organizations. Maintain your certifications and licenses yourself. Volunteer at tradeshows, and conventions. I got my first guiding job in college by putting on a dummy roping contest at an IOGA convention.
Develop a good reputation among the other outfitters. Especially in the area of Trustworthiness, Capability, Honesty, and Hard Work. When you establish that, the outfitters will come to you to buy their outfit, or partner in theirs.
Be leery of an area that has never been outfitted. There is a reason.
If you still want to own an outfit after 3 years of employment in the guiding business, you have a track record, experience and references.
Save 15% of every penny you make.
And to be an outfitter you had better DAMN WELL be a People person. Because THAT is what the client is paying for even if they say "all they care about is the Hunt". I seriously think a person could become an Anti-Hunter guiding for a season because all of a client's insecurities, fears, and bad behaviors come out when they go on a guided hunt. There are days where all you are doing is babysitting. That is guiding. To be a good one, you have to be OK with a client shooting an animal that you know with all of your heart, he or she DOES NOT deserve. I couldn't handle that part so I decided I wouldn't be a hunting guide as a career.

Thank you for your time, it sounds like you have some good advice!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm looking for suggestions how to get into the outfitting industry.

In CO there are only so many licenses out there. I don't think you can just start from scratch, you have to take over another licensed outfit.......which is already allocated a specific area for outfitting.

Jon Boy

WKR
I am guiding for a outfitter this year but in the next few I would like to start my own business.
In Montana you have to have 100 guide days under your belt before coming an outfitter. I'm sure most states have this same rule. That's days you actually guided hunters not days worked. That can take 3-4 years to get. For guiding on forest service 90% of the time you have to buy an already established outfitters area out as the forest service very rarely issues new permits, if at all. It does not come down to 'knowing where the elk are'
If you want to guide on private land you can bypass that but expect to pay 100k+ a year for a really good elk lease that can support a moderately sized operation. Most outfitters over hunt there leases and don't keep in mind the future of there operations.

I've guided the last few seasons for different outfitters. It's a great way to get some quick money in your pocket and you'll learn a lot, meet cool people and be a better hunter at the end of it. Some outfitters are better than others. But in the end most are out to make the most money and promises will be broken. Be prepared to have a shitty client for a week when the hunting is slow.

Blackcow

WKR
Last year was my 27th year of guiding. My advice? Guide for a year. You'll love it or hate it, or both. Loving hunting has little to do with loving, or even liking, guiding. Then after a year, give it another one, or two or three. With any luck, the outfitter that you're guiding for will tell you what he's bringing in, and how much his overhead is (horses tend to eat year round, and have vet and farrier bills),which will make you realize that this guy must absolutely LOVE doing it, cause he's broke as f***. If it stil checks all your boxes, then work harder than the next guy, be honest, and make sure you can roll out of the fart sack before anybody else, with the flu, and probably strep throat, superglue holding your thumb on, and you're not certain, but your pretty sure that when your client dropped the woodstove it broke your big toe;) Oh yeah, a good sense of humor is a must, for both guides AND outfitters;)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
if you follow 2Rockys advice, you'll have clients lined up, might take 10 years, but people will pay for an outiftter like that. If you don't believe it, call Non-Typical Outfitters in Wyoming and see how long the wait list is.

And you'll be profitable if you can manage money.

OP
clopper54

clopper54

FNG
if you follow 2Rockys advice, you'll have clients lined up, might take 10 years, but people will pay for an outiftter like that. If you don't believe it, call Non-Typical Outfitters in Wyoming and see how long the wait list is.

And you'll be profitable if you can manage money.

I hope so, that is what I want to do.

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
To be a good one, you have to be OK with a client shooting an animal that you know with all of your heart, he or she DOES NOT deserve.

So what determines whether or not a hunter "deserves" harvesting an animal? Not trying to be argumentative, but just trying to understand what you meant.