What inexpensive binoculars for kids?

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
3 and 5. 3yo has a very short attention span but the 5yo would actually use them. The good thing is the warranty with the vortex ones in the event that they end up wrecked.

They are as likely to get lost as they are to get broken. Warranty probably doesn’t cover that. Think back to when you were five. Would you have appreciated the difference between low end vortex and the cheapest thing they had on Amazon? I doubt it.

JNDEER

WKR
Yep- glass is actually decent in the bantam and big FOV. Bridge fits kids nice and fits face well too. Combine it with a Rick Young Harness and they will be set for a while.

Last edited:

Q child

WKR
Pentax Papillo in 6.5x21. They're small and handy. Also, they have a very short close focus so kids can look at things really close.

Kenn

WKR
Cheap, lifetime warranty Vortex. They break them, send them in
I think they actually honor their warranty too. I bought Celestron bins for my grandkids and when one went out of collimation they explained that that wasn't covered in their lifetime warranty, though they didn't mention the exclusion in the ad.

Rockinova

FNG
I did the cheap (<$30) bushnell 8x20. My kids love em and I don't worry about damage or loss. Kids are just excited to be using binos. Glass quality isn't an issue

Hoosier.270

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is older than yours, but he uses my vortex crossfires. Decent enough glass, still very cheap.

Perfect situation for some inexpensive Vortex or Leupold. I’d probably go Vortex because of the warranty. Leupold warranty is also very good.

Trogon

WKR
Genuinely shocked that one guy pushing no-name-ebay-chinese-crap optics hasn't chimed in here yet....

TxLite

WKR
I think they actually honor their warranty too. I bought Celestron bins for my grandkids and when one went out of collimation they explained that that wasn't covered in their lifetime warranty, though they didn't mention the exclusion in the ad.
I think getting out of collimation is a great point about the cheaper binos. I had a cheap set of bushnells when I first started hunting as a kid and hated using them because I felt like I couldn’t see anything and didn’t know any better. As I got older I realized that they were out of whack and it wasn’t just a “all binos suck” thing.

I’d go vortex for the kids and let them have fun with them.

jzeblaz

WKR
I've got 2 little kids who like to spend time in the hills and they are always asking to use my binos. I'd like to pick up an inexpensive pair that they can use when we're out and about. Looking at the Vortex Bantam for $70 https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-...tex-bantam-hd-youth-binocular-65x30/p/1849997 .

Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep it cheap as they will be dropped and scratched and beat up I'm sure.
I got those for my nephew. Ergos and glass are surprisingly good. He loves them and he learned the parts names and how to take care of them immediately. He's 5 and takes them whenever he goes on missions.