What did you do with your lion?

Firestone

WKR
Still not sure I can do it. I think they are kinda cool & scarce. If there were 10 zillion of them around, then sure....
They are really cool. Hands down the coolest animals I have ever spent time with, they definitely need to be managed just like everything else though. There are plenty running around where I reside. Being great table fair is also a bonus

HHHIII

FNG
Just got back from a successful lion hunt in Pinedale, Wyoming. Last night I smoked some lion backstop along with a beef tenderloin. The lion was a little dry but those who tried it were surprised by the taste and enjoyed it.

Trial153

WKR
Nothing like a good chase and the dogs locked up at the tree with a big Tom looking down. Lion cacciatore ,
3fe56eed579e2af3d416a8541caa238a.jpg

They do not eat a deer a week. 1. It's mathematically impossible, there would be no deer left in 2 years if that were true. 2. It's biologically false. Anyone with any field experience with lions will roll their eyes when someone spouts that line off.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

1. A pack of hounds can kill a lion 2. They're hardwired to avoid conflict. An injury likely equals starvation for a lion as they rely on their athleticism to hunt.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

6805216A-F8D7-4C44-89AB-C486CD4B72D3.jpeg

Bbq the mountain lion backstraps with bacon, wrapped in aluminum foil. Coat with butter and dip in honey mustard. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
Just started getting into lion hunting since its so damn hard to get drawn for anything else in Arizona. I've always heard the meat is very good eating. Do you have to worry about tricinosis (sp?) or anything? I was just planning to slow cook it like a roast and make into pulled pork style meals. Just wanting to make sure I cook it properly. TIA

HHHIII

FNG
I read you could have trichinosis issues similar to bear meat. I believe trichinosis is killed at 137 degrees. I smoked my back strap to a temperature well above that because my grandchildren were eating it. Most people would think it was pork. I am looking for a taxidermist and plan to go to the Harrisburg show to find someone with experience.

-WARDOG-

FNG
I found the meat to be bland. It took on the spices it was prepared with very well.
I cooked it hot and fast in a skillet. As others have mentioned, it has a unique odor when cooking. After cooked it resembled lean pork with a bit of chewyness.
As far as mounting, they are expensive and expect to wait a couple of years.
I just bleach their skulls and put them on my kitchen window sill. Fascinating skulls and jaw hinge structure.

Attachments

• 2022 cougar meat.jpg
    2022 cougar meat.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 10