What days for Oregon Cascades?

Pdzoller

WKR
My cousin and I have decided that we are going to start bow hunting elk this coming year. My dilemma is that my work is starting to do a sort of first come first serve method for scheduling days off. I am completely new to archery elk. What part of September would you recommend for a two week hunting trip? We will most likely be on the west side of the Cascades.

Thanks in advance for advice.

TripleJ

WKR
The bull in my profile pic is an Oregon cascade bull and was killed on the 18th of September. I've had opportunities and called in bulls from labor day weekend on in the Cascades, but the second half of September is better, providing you can find the elk. Cascade elk are a lot more scattered and spread out, as compared to eastern Oregon or coast range elk.

OP
Pdzoller

Pdzoller

WKR
The bull in my profile pic is an Oregon cascade bull and was killed on the 18th of September. I've had opportunities and called in bulls from labor day weekend on in the Cascades, but the second half of September is better, providing you can find the elk. Cascade elk are a lot more scattered and spread out, as compared to eastern Oregon or coast range elk.
Thanks! Nice bull! We have typically been hunting during rifle season and really enjoyed it when it was in October. We have a few herds we keep an eye on throughout the year. Sadly It has been impossible and potentially dangerous to access the area due to the weather during November.

Ready for a change and new set of challenges.

VO2Max

FNG
My cousin and I have decided that we are going to start bow hunting elk this coming year. My dilemma is that my work is starting to do a sort of first come first serve method for scheduling days off. I am completely new to archery elk. What part of September would you recommend for a two week hunting trip? We will most likely be on the west side of the Cascades.

Thanks in advance for advice.
I'd choose 9/15-9/25 if I had a choice. I've hunted OR at that time and that year the bulls were definitely feeling their T levels elevate and talking more. However, I have also had bulls talking a TON on 9/7 while hunting in WA state. It is all about conditions (smoke, heat, weather in general), when cows are coming into heat and where, on earth, you are! IOW: if you get out there in Sept you will have opportunity... just some days MAY be better than others.

OP
Pdzoller

Pdzoller

WKR
Thanks for the info! I’m putting in for a no chance first choice and a second choice with about a 40% chance based on advice from a friend who invited us out to his area. Said he would show us some stuff and help us out with our first year of archery. Probably still going to wind up in the Cascades though. Going to get the 15th to the end of season off. Freaking pumped!