What can I do now to improve my success in the fall?

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Like the title says, what can I do now to improve my success in the fall?

DIY, OTC Elk Tag. I have not finallized my exact hunting area, but I will be hunting within an hour or so of my home. The area is know for High Hunter Pressure, as well as Wolf Pressure and tough terrain. I will be hunting both rifle and archery season.

My fitness is better than average and I am working on it weekly.

I am shooting my bow weekly.

Is it too early to start scouting?

PSX_20180910_094041-X3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Geewhiz

WKR
It’s never too early to start scouting. If you are not “scouting” animals you are scouting terrain and geography, researching access points, breaking in and getting comfortable with your gear, becoming more comfortable in the hills alone, developing techniques, getting exersize, all of which will increase your odds in the fall.

Jaquomo

WKR
Scout now to learn how to get from point A to point B without blowing them up in any given place. Learn how the thermals switch. Learn where they bed and where the travel trails are. Find some wallows, although those are probably the least important aspect. Look for rut sign. Elk will move a lot between now and September, but rubs and trails remain.

Have you hunted elk before? So much of elk hunting involves figuring out other hunters, and where elk go when pushed. In any new area, about 90% of my "scouting" is done during season, on the fly, based on where other hunters are hunting. I usually take opening morning off and drive around to see where others are parked, figuring everybody hits their #1 spot on opening day.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never too early to start. Learn your options, look for old rubs and past season rutting activity, have several areas as options, plan your day while out if you believe it is a viable option, cross off areas that are not as expected, If you have not butchered one alone are you prepared to do so and then get it out? Planning is half the fun and goes a long way to success..Good luck and remain flexible, things often don’t go as expected.

All for boots on the ground if you can. Some good advice above. Learn as much as you can about elk between now and then. A broad statement I know. A lot to learn between now and September.

Rich M

WKR
Find the elk and stay on them til you get your shot. Easier said then done. Watch em from a distance and maybe soook em time or two to see where they go.

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Scout now to learn how to get from point A to point B without blowing them up in any given place. Learn how the thermals switch. Learn where they bed and where the travel trails are. Find some wallows, although those are probably the least important aspect. Look for rut sign. Elk will move a lot between now and September, but rubs and trails remain.

Have you hunted elk before? So much of elk hunting involves figuring out other hunters, and where elk go when pushed. In any new area, about 90% of my "scouting" is done during season, on the fly, based on where other hunters are hunting. I usually take opening morning off and drive around to see where others are parked, figuring everybody hits their #1 spot on opening day.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!
I have hunted the last 4 seasons, but only put in a decent effort 2 seasons.

Jaquomo

WKR
Find the elk and stay on them til you get your shot. Easier said then done. Watch em from a distance and maybe soook em time or two to see where they go.
If you spook them where I hunt in CO and WY, you will likely never see them again. I guess I prefer to hunt them carefully until I get a setup at the bull. But everybody hunts differently...

Crunk

FNG
Like the title says, what can I do now to improve my success in the fall?

DIY, OTC Elk Tag. I have not finallized my exact hunting area, but I will be hunting within an hour or so of my home. The area is know for High Hunter Pressure, as well as Wolf Pressure and tough terrain. I will be hunting both rifle and archery season.

My fitness is better than average and I am working on it weekly.

I am shooting my bow weekly.

Is it too early to start scouting?

View attachment 561772
Never too early to start learning the area and looking for glassing spots, bedding areas which they use year after year, and those secluded fields that are small and hard to get to they like close cover.

Marble

WKR
Knowledge of animal behavior in the area you hunt is super important. So cameras and putting boots on the ground to see where animals are will be very helpful.

Have realistic expectations of yourself

Have multiple locations to hunt.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Fullfan

WKR
When u think your in good shape, add an additional 30 pounds to your pack. Bike 5 miles further, do 45 more squats. Don’t forget to work on your core.

Every Sept I think I’m in good shape. That all fades away fast when a bull is on the other side of the drainage. Or packing a hind 1/4 and both loins out of some hell hole.

Rich M

WKR
If you spook them where I hunt in CO and WY, you will likely never see them again. I guess I prefer to hunt them carefully until I get a setup at the bull. But everybody hunts differently...
That's knowing your animals!

The OP wants to scout and watch em year round - I'm sure if he spooked em in June or July to see how they exit the area, that they'd come back before the season.

rclouse79

WKR
I think the biggest factor is quality time spent hunting. Get as much time off as possibly and be prepared to use as much of it as you can productively.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Increase intensity of workouts and shoot your bow under stress. Doing 20 burpees and shoot one focused/controlled shot. As most places I hunt are 6+ hours away I've never found scouting to trump fitness and ability to shoot your weapon under distress. I nerd out some on the E scouting, so that could count for my strange opinion.

This has been my experience too in certain areas I've hunted. And I've only been in this game maybe 10-15% the time you have. I have learned to hunt patiently and biding my time. I have found that I can hunt the same elk daily when I'm hunting smart. It's kinda like a chess game, or as my buddy JPD350 likes to say, a game of cat n mouse. I think we would all love to run right into the middle of a heard knowing there are so many elk around that we are going to have multiple opportunities daily. And it may be that way in some units. But by and large, that is the exception and not the rule. Especially in OTC units.

That’s EASY! Nothing leads to higher success than knowing an area like the back of your hand. I hunt a pressured area. People come and go. But I’ve hunted it for 10 years so I know it really well. I punch my tag every year but most guys leave empty handed. Knowing your area is good for your mental game too because you always have the next plan in mind. So my answer is pick a spot and go hike it a lot.