What caliber?

So, if you were going to build a rifle for target shooting and precision. Say a normal range day would be a precision 200 yard range. But every once and awhile you want to stretch out to 500 yards and maybe a little more. What caliber would you go with? Preferably one to buy factory ammo just to mess around with, but hand load for competitions.

hiker270

WKR
With the amount of ammo available its hard to beat the 6.5 creedmoor. AmmoSeek has thousands of available 6.5 ammo listed.

OP
N
As of right now, I was thinking 308 or 6.5cm. But the 308 is standing out since I already have dies and other factory ammo for other guns. But, I know the 6.5 are all the hype right now.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
So, if you were going to build a rifle for target shooting and precision. Say a normal range day would be a precision 200 yard range. But every once and awhile you want to stretch out to 500 yards and maybe a little more. What caliber would you go with? Preferably one to buy factory ammo just to mess around with, but hand load for competitions.
I'd go 6 ARC or 6 GT. I've been able to find plenty of ARC on the shelves and GA Precision usually has factory Hornady GT in stock.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
Because you said factory ammo and you maybe would stretch its legs from time to time, IMO, a 6mm Creedmoor is the natural choice.

If factory ammo wasn't preferable I would have suggested a 6BR or one of it's many variants like the 6 Dasher, 6 BRX, and 6BR AI. The 6 XC and 6x47 Lapua would both be good choices as well.

Regardless of what cartridge you end up going with I'd look for something with a decent size contour barrel on it so the gun has some weight to it. Something in at least a varmint size contour in the 22-24 inch range.

B23

WKR
As of right now, I was thinking 308 or 6.5cm. But the 308 is standing out since I already have dies and other factory ammo for other guns. But, I know the 6.5 are all the hype right now.
I don't know that I'd want a 308 or a 6.5 for 200 yd precision work. Even with the occasional 500 - 500+ shooting, there's just way to many better options to choose from for that kind of use.

JFK

WKR
Good choices above but if you wanted something a little different maybe a faster twist 243? Can buy cheap factory ammo when you want and handload the 6mm match bullets when needed.

OP
N
I don't know that I'd want a 308 or a 6.5 for 200 yd precision work. Even with the occasional 500 - 500+ shooting, there's just way to many better options to choose from for that kind of use.
Only reason I’m stuck on 200 yards is that my club only has a 200 yard range that does bench rest and factory class shooting comps. But, I have friends at other clubs that stretch out 500 yards and then some. Which I won’t be shooting at those a lot, but I want to be able to if I can.

OP
N
Good choices above but if you wanted something a little different maybe a faster twist 243? Can buy cheap factory ammo when you want and handload the 6mm match bullets when needed.
Never thought about the 243, I’ve always heard they were accurate flat shooting calibers. I even thought about a 25-06.