What bullet should I take

nebhunt

WKR
I just found out that I got my Colorado elk permit and now it’s time to decide on the bullet to use. I’m shooting a Thompson Center 50 cal Hawken. I have been testing a few bullets and there are two that stand out accuracy wise. The Hornady bore driver 290 gr and power belt 338 gr platinum. Both shoot very well. I shot them over a chronograph and the bore driver was 1650 fps and platinum was 1570 fps. What bullet would you use for elk?

Neither would be my choice. Powerbelts are very soft and, IMO, not suitable for elk. The Bore Driver would be ok.

If you could get them to shoot well, I’d try a Thor 300 gr. They may be too long for your Hawken, though, if it has the 1:48 twist barrel.

OP
N

nebhunt

WKR
I do like the Thor bullets and have used them in an Encore that I used to have. My only problem would be finding the correct bullet for the bore. How do you get the bullet back out unless you shoot it out? What if it is too tight to get down on top of the powder?

I have some of the Maxi ball in 370 gr and 320 gr. I killed a bull with the 370 gr about 30 years ago. The shot was about 70yd right behind the shoulder and was a complete pass through. I know that bullet would probably do the job again but I was just trying to stay away from having to use the bullet lube and the whole mess.

Yes, that is the tricky but not too tough issue with a non-removable breech plug. The skirt is the sized portion of the Thor and it can be easily sized up or down a little for a perfect fit. There are several threads (maybe here but other places for sure) about how to do that. I could find one and post a link for you.

What I would do is attempt to determine the actual bore dimension with lead bullets and a caliper. Then I’d size a Thor slightly smaller and try seating it over a powder charge. Then you can shoot it out and adjust up or down slightly based on your desired loading force.

I just needs to be loadable and pretty close. The skirt will obturate. If you need to you can also use a wad or sub-base under it to help seal the bore upon ignition.

I know, sounds like a lot of work but I think it would be pretty simple. And the Thor is a much better elk bullet.

As I said, this may end up being a waste of time because the Thor may not shoot well in that slow twist Hawken.

I don’t find lubed conicals that much of a mess. Get ‘em prelubed from Bullshop or No Excuses.

I'm shooting the 338gr powerbelts in my Knight. Muzzy shop owner said it's one of the most popular bullets around here, don't have any killing experience with it though. Shoots pretty darn well at 100yd.

If you're shooting black powder or pyrodex,to me that means an all lead conical is the best choice. The penetration is insane, i put one through 3' of deer vertebrae and still got an exit years ago on a bedded facing me shot.

TC maxiballs are OK, but maxihunters and hornady great plains were better for me on deer from 3-125 yards. I've never had lube be a problem, if you're using speed loads (or better yet an ec loader) you don't touch the bullets in the field anyhow. The fancier conicals are probably nicer, but seem unnecessary for an iron sighted Hawken.

Other thoughts:
I would much rather shoot a patched round ball than a powerbelt at anything.
Shot a few deer with 70grw bh209 and 250gr thors this year. Penetration was poor compared to lead conicals, would not use that combo on elk. In fact, once my stash is used uo I won't be getting more even for deer.

Del Gue

FNG
I am heading to Colorado for a muzzleloader elk hunt as well. I will be taking two of my TC Renegades with me. Both have Green Mountain Barrels 1-28'' twist. I will be shooting 460 gr NEX Bullshop all lead conicals. Sized at .502 for a nice slip fit. Pushed by 85 gr of 2F Swiss black powder and a dry wool wad between the powder and bullet.
I am set up with Lyman 57SML rear peeps with .04 green fiber optic front sight. I am Elk Vitals MOA out to 200 yds with this set up.