Wet feet in snow.....

Found out something new this year during a 3rd season elk hunt. We hike in to our spots, and when we would get there my feet would be wet. I know my boots don't leak, was using gators, and the boots have Gor Tex. So the question is how do ya keep your feet and toes from getting cold and going numb? I know feet are going to sweat, so do I need more insulation in the boots? They have 400gr, and I use a med weight smart wool sock, with a liner under that.

Sounds like it is just sweat from your activity and the heat retention in your boot. I carry an extra pair of socks and switch them out to keep a dry boot inside. I'll dry them out either at camp or depending on the weather hang them on my pack to dry out as I walk.

JNDEER

WKR
Extra socks and liners. It is a pain to stop mid hike or half way to a point, but use that time to glass or eat a snack. Get the socks changed out.

I also use the gold bond foot powder religiously. Before every hike and when my feet are sweaty and I change out socks I will put more in the boot.

R

red

Sounds like your boots are not breathing. What kind are they? What do you treat them with? Some products can clog the pores in the leather and stop it from being able to breath. I have really sweaty feet, but since I started to use Obenaufs LP My feet stay bone dry all day long while hiking. Also, I would skip the liner sock. A good fitting pair of boots should only need one pair of socks. JMO

Also, I would skip the liner sock. A good fitting pair of boots should only need one pair of socks. JMO
couldnt disagree more, i feel my liners really help with my moisture management and have much happier feet since starting using them. different people, different feet i guess

wapitibob

WKR
If your boots leaked, the socks will be wet in a localized area. If the moisture is from sweat, the whole foot will have a damp feel.
If you relying on Gore-Tex to keep boots waterproof, you'll be disappointed in short order. That stuff is worthless in boots.

Liner socks coupled with a smartwool outer is the only way to go. As much for blister prevention as moisture management.

Shrek

WKR
The goretex can work in boots but most boots leak at a seam in no time. I had a pair about 10 years ago that lasted about half a season before they leaked. Most leak right out of the box

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've also started using the boot heaters that are shaped like an insole. No need for them while hiking, but for glassing or moving slow, riding horsed, they are the bomb. For a few bucks a day, it's worth it.

Shrek

WKR
Who makes them robby ? I haven't seen them. I have used the toe warmers by hot hands. They don't last long for me. I have reynaudes in my right pointer and index fingers and always keep hot hands in my hand tube. Don't want to loose the fingers !

gore-tex does not mean that they are waterproof.... I have a pair of danner pronghorns that would make a better fishing net than boot. Leak like a sieve. Rule that out first, then start bringing extra socks.

Joe

Mike7

WKR
Agree with the other recommendations above.

But I also find that shorter uninsulated boots combined with breathable gaiters tend to hold in moisture less...just be sure you are not having wicking of water down your pants onto your socks and which then goes right into your boots. When I am going to be beating the wet brush and know that my lower pants and gaiters will get drenched, I make sure that my gaiters are inside of my pants and over the top of my socks...works great.

If you do better like I do with shorter, uninsulated boots but find it cold when stopping to glass later in the season, then you can try throwing some Arctic Shield foot covers over your boots at stops. These also work great in the winter for camp shoes on the snow...Crocs don't work so well after Nov 1 here.

If your feet sweat a great amount in all boots, then also consider trying some antiperspirant to the soles of your feet.

OP
fire arrow
My feet are fine while hiking. They get cold when stop and glass. I should just slow down while hiking, and mind how how much I am sweating. I have a bad habbit of putting my head down a grinding it out until I get to where I am going.

The boots are Mindel Perfect hikers
Use some boot wax made if bee's wax. In a black container from sportsmen Wearhouse. Great stuff
I also agree with using a sock liner. Very helpful in wicking moister away, and helps keep blisters away.

In really wet conditions, or if your feet just sweat a lot you might try a vapor barrier liner between your liner sock and outer sock.
Your feet will prune up and be damp...but your outer sock and boot will remain 100% dry from sweat. You will need to change your outer sock more often. On the plus side, your feet will remain warmer because all the heat is held close due to the non-beathable liner.
A cheap way to try this is just to pull an empty bread sack over your feet and spend the day in the field. If your trials seems OK, then shop for a commercially made VPL for your long term kit.