Wet area

Jmort1754

WKR
We have a wet spot in our yard that appears to be mainly with run off. We have talked to people who handle drainage and they told us there is not much to do other than maybe plant a tree or two to try and absorb the residual water.

If we were to plant a tree or two what should we plant? We live in town, I can get white oaks easily. What other ones should I look at?

Tmac

WKR
I’ve been known to solve that with some drainage pipes buried and connected to my downspout line that exits to the storm drains in the street.

ODB

WKR
I’ve been known to solve that with some drainage pipes buried and connected to my downspout line that exits to the storm drains in the street.

My nephew lives in Charleston and bought a house that was known for a wet yard, especially when they get heavy storms. A friend of his is some sort of engineer and designed a water-shedding system similar to what you mention, with a series of French drains and whatnot. His yard has stayed dry even after some mighty storms since then.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
We have city sewer and water. The city drain doesn't run near there. My father in law came and looked we already had that idea.

logem

FNG
Sounds like you should run it to the street via a french drain, and then it's the city's/county's problem.

We have city sewer and water. The city drain doesn't run near there. My father in law came and looked we already had that idea.
I'm glad to hear you have thought of and eliminated that. As such, I agree with installing a french drain system.

Rich M

WKR
Willows like water.

You can figure out where the drainage is coming from and change your landscaping to direct it elsewhere - doesn't take much.

French drain will only work if you have porous enough soil and deep enough groundwater. If the groundwater is shallow and the water you see is it, then french drain won't work.

rclouse79

WKR
Willows may like water, but I found the one in my yard to be such a pain in the rear that I chopped it down. It was always leaving a giant mess in the yard.
I had a different spot in the front that was basically a swamp. I got so sick of it I installed a French drain to the sidewalk. Problem solved.