Western state winterkill

Currently all over rokslide there are threads discussing severe winterkill of elk , antelope and mule deer across the western us . A fair number of these states have draws and lotteries taking place resident and non resident . If it is as bad as it sounds and doing whats best for the big game populations being decimated . What do you think states SHOULD do to preserve game vs what they WILL do ? Obviously tag sales generate substantial revenue . What say you ?

Jimss

WKR
#1). Habitat, water, road fencing/crossing projects.
2). Purchase critical winter range to prevent development.
2). Pull all doe tags!
3). Pull late rifle rut season dates in Colo.
4). Drop tag numbers.

As deep as the snow in western Montana is I don't expect nobody will have any real idea of the damage until the draws and coulees start to thaw out.

In the late 60's, heavy snows in jan and feb some of the antelope froze in the snow standing up. I had a roommate that had a picture of one standing on his front lawn. Until it got warm enough for him to fall over no one had any idea.

In about that period one of the ranchers lost 100 head of sheep in a spring snow storm. When it thawed in May they appeared. Dead! Another reference might be Charley Russel's postcard ' The last of 5,000' referencing a really bad winter in the 1880s or 90s and the loss of cows.

In the last month two human bodies showed up in the snowbanks and another out of Livingston before that. One was chronically stupid, one appears hypothermia and the last as yet unknown.

If spring ever comes, with it will be surprises.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I was talking with a biologist and he was talking about the population objectives and 10-yr cycles. How most years are above objectives and then in years like this, it may dip below. Then conditions improve and the numbers increase.

Kinda like watching the stock market i guess. You can go crazy on a day to day thing but back out to a wider timeframe and the outlook gets better.

Legend

WKR
Montana antelope numbers are not counted until after fawning season. So in theory they can adjust the tag numbers before the August drawing.

As for elk, well they are damn tough and usually do OK. The mule deer on the otherhand, well there will be less of them. MTFWP is too tied to the money of tag sales to pull all the doe tags....but that would be a good start.

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
Western Hunting as we know is doomed now. I think most will be placed on an Endangered Species list. Especially mule deer in Wyoming.
Hope this is with a hint of sarcasm. Tough winter, yes. But for over a decade all we heard about is the drought. Then a big winter happens and its the extreme end of the other way. Endangered species list? I hope not. Early last century elk were wiped out (because of humans not hard winters). But with state agencies, the state biologists and hunting they reintroduced elk and look at the results. I believe that state biologists will handle this situation accordingly and then it might take a bit with some sacrifice from hunters, but eventually it will be okay. Frankly the west needs a few big winters. Not meaning to rude or attack you personally. Yes there will above winter kill, but these animals are tough and will adjust accordingly for there survival. It might mean an inconvience to hunters for a while but we have it pretty good for long while.

rmelville

FNG
We have been having a bit in northern Utah. In some areas we built homes where the Deer and Elk would have normally wintered. I'm hoping this last snow storm we had will be the last, for the wild life to get a break.

G8tor4217

FNG
I was talking with a biologist and he was talking about the population objectives and 10-yr cycles. How most years are above objectives and then in years like this, it may dip below. Then conditions improve and the numbers increase.

Kinda like watching the stock market i guess. You can go crazy on a day to day thing but back out to a wider timeframe and the outlook gets better.
How were the quotas and tags adjusted?

Gobbler36

WKR
I think we need a bunch more of these so hopefully all the commifornians decide to move back!

I know it’s not original

wondering what idaho is gonna do especially on the east and central part of the state

My opinion:

After all of the disdain for NR hunting and goalpost moving that has been happening across the west, if you have the time to hunt, I would be hunting. Go and hunt before they form a ridiculous, guide riddled, coalitional task force and put the proverbial nail in the NR's coffin and your points become useless....

We are paying the biologists to analyze the herds and set the limits accordingly. It's not your job to manage the wildlife. Your job is to manage expectations and go hunting.

IdahoElk

WKR
My opinion:

After all of the disdain for NR hunting and goalpost moving that has been happening across the west, if you have the time to hunt, I would be hunting. Go and hunt before they form a ridiculous, guide riddled, coalitional task force and put the proverbial nail in the NR's coffin and your points become useless....

We are paying the biologists to analyze the herds and set the limits accordingly. It's not your job to manage the wildlife. Your job is to manage expectations and go hunting.
One thing you may be overlooking is we have seen a huge influx of new residents in western states and what you call disdain may actually be an inability for the resource to carry both a high NR load in addition to all the new residents while still trying to have a quality outdoor experience.
Having lived in Idaho for 35yrs I have seen the population in our area exploded making even hiking and mountain biking in the summer a challenge if you're looking for solitude. Quality Elk hunting most times requires finding quiet places without animals being pressured by humans, it's getting harder and harder to find these places.

Wrench

WKR
My county used to be a destination for big whitetail and mule deer. I have not seen a whitetail deer in 2 years. I haven't seen a mule deer in the Eastern half of the county in a year.

Between blue tongue, predator management, horrible farming practices and rough winters.....we are in awful shape for deer.

These hard winters are what we use to have 20 years ago.
Nope. . . This is historical. How historical you ask??? The following photo is a precipitation ranking from Dec 31, 2022 to April 3rd, 2023. #1 would be the wettest in 131 years #131 would be the driest. Most of the west has had historic snowfall, I didn't grab pics but it's also been very cold on average. Maybe not extremely bitter, but cold keeping snow around. . .PXL_20230405_162035674.jpg

Sure winters may have been harder in general but this year is a whole different animal.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should take a listen to Rokcast where Robby talks to the Gunnison basin biologist about this very subject.
Thread 'Colorado Buck Hunting in 2023' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/colorado-buck-hunting-in-2023.305567/

Here Utah estimates for deer. Things are down but it varies across units
a08b64bdec03b0f39991f5a7719e91da.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk