Western Edge Gear Youth Pack Long X 22 ***Updated 3/8/23***

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have 2 youth Daughters who hunt quite a bit with me. soon as my 9 year old turns 10 it will be 3. They have gone on some grueling pack in elk hunts and have been lucky enough to take bulls on most of their hunts.

One thing that hasn't helped on these is the youth gear we have used. Primary packs that don't fit well. Either too big or having to go with a pack that is small and can't carry what we need it to. One successful elk hunt where both of my daughters had oversized packs turned out miserable on the packing end of things. The packs hurt either my daughters' shoulders or hips couldn't properly adjust it where the hip belt or the shoulder straps could be used.

Steve with Western edge gear contacted me about a youth pack he wanted me to review. I was excited, to say the least. Unfortunately, It came right after a couple of backpack elk hunts with a heavy pack out.

However, it came in time for a deer hunt. Right away, it caused a fight. Both daughters fought over who got to use it first because it fit both so well. It seemed very streamlined and well-made.

Western Edge gear Specializes in youth gear, primarily backpacks. Steve was very helpful and asked for my kids' sizes. I will be posting a full review.

***Update 3/8/23*** Western Edge Gear Long X 22 Pack Review

Western edge gear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AKLiving

FNG
Western Edge Gear Long X 18" on it way. I'm so glad I found this review just in time. I not only have active kids but being on the smaller side they won't fit gear until almost an adult. My younger son is looking forward to trying this out on a 21mi/5day backpacking trip in Wrangell-St. Elias this June. If it works well he will have a nice pack for if he decides to hunt this fall. Having a pack that fits instead of schlepping a meat bag over the shoulder sure would be nice. I'll try to leave a separate review for those that have kids with a smaller stature.