West Virginia Mountaineer Heritage Season

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
I have a small hunting camp in Pendleton County, WV. I have taken a couple of deer off of the place the last couple of years.

WV has a special season in January for four days called the Mountaineer Heritage Season. You are required to use a traditional muzzle loader or bow. There will likely be snow on the ground at my place.

I am thinking of trying to hunt the this special season this year. I do not presently own a traditional muzzle loader, but I am up for buying one. I have killed many deer with an in-line.

Does anyone have experience with this type of hunting? What kind of rifle do I want? Some kind of Hawken clone? Kentucky rifle? Is patched round ball the way to go or some kind of mini ball? What kind of powder? Just stick with pyrodex?

Thanks in advance.

Jrkotz

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I based out of Charleston have gone a few times. He has a flint lock kit gun (traditions or CVA) I have a 50 cal percussion. We haven't got one yet, they've been thinned out pretty well by that time of year. Best of luck this year!

WVelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
The biggest problem I see with our heritage hunt is that alot of bucks have already lost their horns. Killing any deer with traditional equipment is a true trophy, but I really hate the thought of killing a buck that's already lost its horns. I normally use that season to explore a public hunting area that I normally don't hunt. (Kill someone else's hornless buck!)

Last edited:
The biggest problem I see with our heritage hunt is that alot of bucks have already lost their horns. Killing any deer with traditional equipment is a true trophy, but I really hate the thought of killing a buck that's already list its horns. I normally use that season to explore a public hunting area that I normally don't hunt. (Kill someone else's hornless buck!)

My dad experienced this a few years back, actually in regular muzzleloader. Deer here just drop antlers much earlier it seems. He shot a nice 10 point, when he walked up, one side was gone! Confused, he grabbed the remaining side to lift it up, and it popped off in his hand.

Heck of a set of rattling antler though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk