West Texas Elk - Rut Behavior

db3445

FNG
I am curious about if elk act differently during the rut in West Texas than they would in states with cooler climates.

I wanted to start this thread to pick anybody's brain that understands elk during the rut in West Texas.

Due to the much hotter climate, are elk actively rutting during the day like they would in states with cooler climates? During September, it can be upwards of 90 degrees in West Texas, so I am curious if the heat affects how the elk act during this time period.

I am also curious if the prime elk rut is later in the fall, around mid October instead of in September due to the heat.

Any and all information is helpful. Thank you

BigLou

FNG
no idea about Texas specifically, but I hunt elk in high desert country every year. 90 degrees in September is not unusual. Have seen plenty of rut fests in the heat, middle of the day....in fact, one of our methods for finding herds is to glass for clouds of dust that are stirred up from all the commotion.

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
AFAIK the rut is mainly tied to the fall equinox and the gradual reduction in daylight, which is going to happen irrespective of the daytime temperatures.

But I have actually wondered this also as my family property I hunt in west Texas as a few elk running around but they come and go with out rhyme or reason. I have thought about setting up and cold calling just so see if anything would show up.

OP
D

db3445

FNG
no idea about Texas specifically, but I hunt elk in high desert country every year. 90 degrees in September is not unusual. Have seen plenty of rut fests in the heat, middle of the day....in fact, one of our methods for finding herds is to glass for clouds of dust that are stirred up from all the commotion.
Very interesting. Thank you for the tip