Well I guess this is a sleep system ?, Spiking out with a CPAP?

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy is heading out west with me elk hunting, for the most part we should be roadside camping but there is a good possibility that we will spike out. How do you guys that use a CPAP handle not having power? I was thinking a small battery and a solar charger? But Im not even sure that will work till I to the amp draw vs battery capacity equation.

tttoadman

WKR
I used the CPAP for one day and ditched it. I have the custom mouth pc that solved all of my issues. I told them I would not do anything that wasn't portable and light. This is not the 1 visit $200 special you see on TV. It was pretty spendy.

My buddy wants to come out west to hunt with me but he's got the same issue! I told him I camp three miles in... Really would like to figure out how to make it happen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

gumbl3

WKR
Continuous positive airway pressure..

Helps people with sleep apnea, congestive heart failure, some lung disorders

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I got my boss setup with two of these.

He runs pretty low pressure and no vaporizer, but two batteries lasted him a week on a backpack elk hunt.

Amazon.com: Intocircuit Power Monster 32000mAh Portable Charger Power Bank with 3-Port Output and US/EU/UK Plug: Cell Phones & Accessories

Not super light or cheap but it worked for him....I forget which model CPAP he had.

Of course this is cheaper and guys in the reviews are getting 4-5 nights out of their CPAP with this one.

Amazon.com: MAXOAK 50000mAh 6 Port(5/12/20v) Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank for Laptop & Notebook–Most of Sony Dell Hp Toshiba Samsung Lenovo Acer IBM NEC Mobile,Tablet(not for Apple Laptop): Computers & Accessories

Last edited:
I fly a lot of RC Pylon racing across the country and we use a ton of Lithium type batteries. Some of these are 3,4 or 5 cells equating up to 14.8 volts of out put. That's more than a car battery and weigh the same as a dark energy battery. Not sure what level of power you need for a cpap set up or how much it drains a power source over a nights use.
These lithium batteries we use are anywhere from 1500 mah up to well over 6000 mah. I have discovered a normal cell phone requires about 2500 mah to charge it. I say this because it takes a small solar charger about all day to pack this much juice into a portable battery source or you could get a 2 panel type that says it will charge it in a couple hours. With that said, the 6000 mah lithium battery could realistically charge in 4 hrs then and could possibly be what you need for a nights use of the cpap machine?
Again not sure the draw these require, but 3 or 4 of these batteries run in parallel should get a guy thru the night?

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
Would a smaller goal zero work ?? At least it would be recharging while you where hunting if you packed a small panel with you in your kit .
My brother runs a CPAP and I'm considering this for a trip to the cabin for him (no electricity) .

OP
G

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Would a smaller goal zero work ?? At least it would be recharging while you where hunting if you packed a small panel with you in your kit .
My brother runs a CPAP and I'm considering this for a trip to the cabin for him (no electricity) .

When he is at my place WV (off grid) he runs an inverter off a 12VDC deep cycle battery, his CPAP will run off 24VDC so he is just chewing up juice converting it from 12VDC to 120VDC and most likely back to 24VDC to run it. Im thinking I have a few of 12VDC 7AH batteries laying around, I can series 2 of those together and see how long it runs his machine. If that doesnt work, Lukes links probably will.

I Beam

FNG
He can't do a week without it?

It would be difficult. I have sleep apnea. I "wake up" 42 times an hour without the machine because I am not getting oxygen. It's basically the same stress a marathon runner puts on their body. Having a CPAP makes a world of difference. Imagine that feeling when you're dead tired and can't think straight. That's what having sleep apnea is like. Getting a sleep study was the best thing I've ever done.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would be difficult. I have sleep apnea. I "wake up" 42 times an hour without the machine because I am not getting oxygen. It's basically the same stress a marathon runner puts on their body. Having a CPAP makes a world of difference. Imagine that feeling when you're dead tired and can't think straight. That's what having sleep apnea is like. Getting a sleep study was the best thing I've ever done.
Wow I had no idea. That sucks.

I Beam

FNG
The power supply for my CPAP is 12v 5 amps. If I had to guess it's probably drawing about 3-5 amps. It really depends on the pressure you run at. Some people need more pressure to keep their airways open, some less. I would guess my 5 amp draw is on the high end since I have severe sleep apnea.

tttoadman

WKR

Wow..You are worse than me. I was only about 30-35. Pair that with narcolepsy, and I am a real treat to live with. I am asleep anytime anywhere in about 2 minutes if I sit still. I would sleep like a rock through all my episodes while my wife would poke me in the side to "kick start" me again. She says "until death... didn't include this mess". The mouth pc has been great for me since I just needed to clear the airway. It was an instant fix from the first day.

Good luck to all those out there that struggle with this. My Dr told me I have likely added 10 years to my life by getting this condition under control.

OP
G

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
I had it bad, it caused me to do a stint in the ER with blood pressure well over stroke level. I was somewhere at 8 percent body fat, extremely fit yet, still would wake up gasping for air and sweating bullets. I had surgery, removed my tonsils, uvula and that big flap of tissue at the back of my throat. That surgery was a life changer, no more need for a 2 hour nap when I got home for work, no more struggling to stay away driving, no more blood pressure issues. I really wish I had the surgery years ago. If you are told you stop breathing when sleeping, get yourself checked out, it can kill you!!

Wow, some days I learn a lot on here.
Glad you guys are able to get the help you need, and hope you can find a backcountry solution.

I Beam

FNG
I had it bad, it caused me to do a stint in the ER with blood pressure well over stroke level. I was somewhere at 8 percent body fat, extremely fit yet, still would wake up gasping for air and sweating bullets. I had surgery, removed my tonsils, uvula and that big flap of tissue at the back of my throat. That surgery was a life changer, no more need for a 2 hour nap when I got home for work, no more struggling to stay away driving, no more blood pressure issues. I really wish I had the surgery years ago. If you are told you stop breathing when sleeping, get yourself checked out, it can kill you!!

Years ago, before I was diagnosed with sleap apnea, they did an MRI of my nasal passages. Found out I was obstructed on one side, and mostly the other. I regret not getting that surgery when I had cadillac insurance. Now getting reibursed for replacement mask, in and of itself, is a chore.
I always wondered if a "mechanical" solution either surgery or one of those mouth inserts to hold your tounge back would be effective. It's good to see that it's worked for someone. I'll have to look into it.

I Beam

FNG
CPAP.com has some interesting options. The Transcend looks like it would be the way to go IMHO. You can get solar chargers and batteries designed for the system. I think that might be better than a franken system, because you would have the correct amp draws, etc. since it's designed from the ground up to run that particular device.

Shraggs

WKR
I have severe sleep apnea too and have been backpack hunting 3 years now. For those that may not know, it would be very serious at high altitude to do without an appropriate device. Very. There are two machines on the market that have been used successfully on mt Everest. The one I use is made by HDM. It is an auto-pap meanning pressure will change as body needs it vs continuous-pap. The pressure keeps you from being obstructed. The unit weighs 15 oz! I use a goal zero Sherpa 50 for power and one charge will last about two nights if temps above freezing. It weighs 17 oz. So I can two a 1-2 night NP. If a week out then I take two Sherpa 50's and a nomad 20 to charge during the day. Don't use the smaller panels, they struggle to fully charge the Sherpa in good light in 8 hours. A 20 can do it in about 4, real world wilderness and unattended you'll need all day. I'm also a type 1 diabetic. All of my medical supplies run about 7 lbs. a huge weight penalty - but I'm there hunting. Need to set up panel when you leave in morning so it is south facing and 10-15 degree angle at altitude. If it rains, have a backup... PM if want specifics.

John