Weird CA Ridgeline Issue - Need Help

whaack

WKR
Background - I own 3 CA Ridgelines. All of them have shot 1/2 MOA with factory premium ammo.

Recently I picked up another Ridgeline and went through the barrel break in process shooting only Hornady Precision Hunter. I have a total of around 150-200 rounds through it now.

Initially the gun was printing 1/2" three shot groups all day. Now the gun has slowly grown to .8-.9" groups and I can't explain why. I've taken the gun apart, re-torqued all bolts including the scope and mounts too. I've cleaned the gun down to spotless with WipeOut and Montana Extreme copper fouling.

What am I missing? The scope is Leupold VX6, so not a cheap scope.

My next step is to try some different ammo, but that seems odd bc it was shooting Hornaday great an now is less great. Could be the scope I suppose. Anything I'm missing that more experienced guys could point out??

FYI - Already called CA. They were super nice and said the next steps are what I just laid out above (new ammo and try different scope). They offered to have it shipped back for review if I'm unhappy with the accuracy. It's within their MOA guarantee so I'm thinking is something that isn't so obvious to me.

Last edited:

nobody

WKR
Scope/Mount is my guess. Guns don't just go to crap for no reason without some kind of explanation. The explanation here is that VX6. Replace with a solid, known reliable optic and new mounting system and try again. If that doesn't work, send it back to CA. But my bet is on that Leupold.

What is it chambered in?

In regards to the scope, I no longer use Leupolds because I have had more failures with them than any other scope I have used (Vortex, Burris, SWFA, Meopta, Bushnell, and even Tasco)

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
What is it chambered in?

In regards to the scope, I no longer use Leupolds because I have had more failures with them than any other scope I have used (Vortex, Burris, SWFA, Meopta, Bushnell, and even Tasco)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Same ammo lot as what you were previously shooting? Wouldn't surprise me a bit if your gun just doesn't shoot that lot of ammo as well.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I'm just getting started with my ridgeline, but I have read many complaints on the stock bedding from the factory. Many have reported improved accuracy by replacing the stock or having the factory stock re-bedded by a gunsmith. Maybe the bedding became worse as you put more rounds through the gun?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Not a Ridgeline, but my CA Ranger 22 needs to be bedded. The bedding pillars came loose from the stock and now slide up and down. As the pillars are about 1/10 of an inch longer than the stock is thick, the action now rocks up and down in the stock.

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
Not a Ridgeline, but my CA Ranger 22 needs to be bedded. The bedding pillars came loose from the stock and now slide up and down. As the pillars are about 1/10 of an inch longer than the stock is thick, the action now rocks up and down in the stock.

I don’t think that’s the case with my rifle. As I mentioned, I took it apart down to the nuts and bolts and inspected everything closely. From what I recall, the pillars were in tact and level with the bedding of the stock.

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
If you got a CA rifle that no shit puts everything in .8-.9 you need to buy a lottery ticket!

I’ve had three. All of them shoot that well. Here is the break in period on the one in question. Hence why I’m baffled on the issue at hand. That’s a 1” sticker for reference.

be49a21d481e7ff44aa2701760a7bd7b.jpg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This is not a "weird" Christensen issue. This is a common Christensen issue. You're use case of "3 other samples" is nowhere near enough data to make assumptions.

This is not a "weird" Christensen issue. This is a common Christensen issue. You're use case of "3 other samples" is nowhere near enough data to make assumptions.
Did a lot of research prior to purchasing a Christensen here, and while there were issues, I don’t recall coming across this common issue of opening up from .5 to .8” after breaking in. I’m a terrible shot but I’d consider .8 pretty good.

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR

Are you saying it’s common for CA, or any rifle for that matter, to have its groups open up? I was under the impression it was the opposite with most rifles as they break in.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I don’t think that’s the case with my rifle. As I mentioned, I took it apart down to the nuts and bolts and inspected everything closely. From what I recall, the pillars were in tact and level with the bedding of the stock.

It very well my not be. My pillars initially stuck out the bottom, so they were even for the action, but not the trigger guard (bottom metal or plastic for the Ranger).

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ve had three. All of them shoot that well. Here is the break in period on the one in question. Hence why I’m baffled on the issue at hand. That’s a 1” sticker for reference.

be49a21d481e7ff44aa2701760a7bd7b.jpg

I stand by that If it does that .8-.9 or better every single time I would consider yourself lucky.

That said I generally don’t consider a 3 round group an accurate representation of what the rifle will do over the course of the barrel. Especially on a factory light rifle. Just my 2 cents.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't change anything at this point.

Shooting a .4" three-shot group one day and a .9" three-shot group another day doesn't mean anything, IMO. You just don't get enough data to actually know anything.

Shoot a few 10-shot groups to see what your rifle is actually doing, and don't worry about three-shot groups.

OP
whaack

whaack

WKR
I wouldn't change anything at this point.

Shooting a .4" three-shot group one day and a .9" three-shot group another day doesn't mean anything, IMO. You just don't get enough data to actually know anything.

Shoot a few 10-shot groups to see what your rifle is actually doing, and don't worry about three-shot groups.

Understood. But to be fair it wasn’t just “one day”. It was a handful of trips to the range then notably less accuracy seemingly out of nowhere.