Weight loss

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I'm trying to cut another 20 lbs by sept. I know this is a lot but I feel it's very doable. My question is more about calories. I have read a lot of stuff that says its all about calorie intake verse calorie burn. This makes perfect sense to me. And there is no gimmick diet fad. I've been doing protein shakes for breakfast and lunch 300 cals per shake) and a health dinner anywhere between 600 & 1000. Dinners can go from a salad to sometimes it's a burrito or whatever my wife cooks really. That's the reason for the huge changes in caloric intake at dinner. So I figure on 1400-1600 cals/day. I workout 5 days a week doing weights,cross fit and running. I have been loosing weight and feel fine. I was a little drained the first week but I think I'm getting used to it. Is this a good simple way to look at weight loss? It basically leaves me no food options which works for me cuz I lack control. ;) thanks

G Posik

WKR
One thing to think about is the carbs late in the day/ evening. The burrito at night is not the best, since the tortilla is carbs. I would also think about seeing a nutritionist.

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
How tall are you, what is your current weight and age? Those are important factors in determining your caloric intake as well as activity level, which you have stated already. Just based off what you have told us about your diet I would suggest starting by trimming down dinner a little and adding a few snacks to keep your metabolism fired up and blood sugar levels in check. Also when you workout in the day plays a role in when you should get certain calories.

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 33 yrs old. 247 lbs and 6 ft tall. I work out in the morning. This morning i jogged 3 miles with alot of steep hills (cant run up them all yet). My job is a route driver so I'm making 50 stops a day. Similar activity levels as a mailman I guess. In college I was in awesome shape and weighed 210 lbs. I'd like to get to 210-220. I used to figure a 2000 cal/day diet but found it hard to stay there while having too many choices in food. I find when I graze all day I'm always hungry and never have a full feeling. With what I'm doing now I get a full feeling once a day an that seems to motivate me to "be good" all day. Basically looking forward to dinner. Last night was lettuce wraps with chicken. Tonight is grilled chicken with streamed brocoli and maybe rice. Most nights it's fairly healthy. Weekends if I go out are the two nights a burrito or something may make it into my meals.
Thanks

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Sounds like you need to make the proverbial "lifestyle change". You can eat good 5 days a week and blow that on the weekend. I would agree with Glenn's assessment of seeing a nutritionist. You may also consider seeing a doctor and having a physical and discussing your weight-loss goals with them.

Daniel_M

WKR
Something that may help is to visualize what you're doing. May I suggest MyFitnessPal. If you do it right, you will lose weight. More often than not people don't track their intake or burn, and as a result they are WAY off!!

rodney482

WKR
I am 41 6'1" and currently weigh 220

I started in late May and weighed almost 250.

I have taken almost 30 lbs off by running 10 miles a week and eating healthy.

I dont eat after 6p.. nothing

I eat lots of turkey and chicken, fruits and vegetables.

I want to lose another 10lbs by the end of Aug.

200-210 is a good weight for me.

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I used myfitnesspal app to get where I currently am. I started at 267 and the app is basically made me aware that its all about calorie in verse burn hence my diet now. I know I need a lifestyle change totally. My goal is to get down another 20-30 lbs an then maintain from there. I guess my biggest question is..... If I eat less calories no matter what it is I will loose weight, no? That's why I mentioned the burrito earlier. If I eat only 600 cals all day then eat a meal with 1000 cals for dinner that puts me at 1600. My app says "if everyday were like today you'd weigh X lbs in two months". I'm aware this can't be my lifestyle forever or maybe it can but I'm looking to loose my remaining weight as fast as possible. Am I thinking way off?

Daniel_M

WKR
I think you're analyzing caloric intake and how it can affect the body in a rather slight fashion.

You will burn more by eating 5x300 calorie meals vs 2 meals to hit the same target. Why? Because you're continuously challenging your metabolism. 1400 calorie meals put you to sleep and thus your body stores fats, not burns. MyFitnessPal doesn't analyze the amount of meals you eat per day, simply the total intake/burn.

I will say a "cheat" day is a good thing on occasion but only after a routine is established by at least 4-5 weeks.

5x a day, 300-350 calories
Workout 3x a week minimum 1 hour, equivalent to 400-500 calories burned.

MyFitnessPal could use a few tweaks.

Breakfast: Oatmeal 300 calories
Snack: Protein Bar 240 calories
Lunch: SuperSized #4 from Burger King w/ fries and a Coke. 1400 calories
Snack: Almonds 200 calories
Dinner: TriTip salad 350 calories

Exercise: Burned 400 calories

Result....X intake total

At the end of the day MyFitnessPal gives me a proverbial pat on the shoulder, when it should say "Holy shit fatty, you'll never lose weight eating 1400 calorie lunches from Burger King"

Last edited:

Daniel_M

WKR
That makes sense. So would 3 shakes per day and a resonance 600 cal dinner be better?

Shakes are great because they are quick and easy.

Dinner - Meat, chicken, fish and veggies. Limit the carbs, minimal past lunch. 5 meals a day is optimal. I like to mix up the mornings, sometimes it's oatmeal, sometimes it's a shake. Protein mix, peanut butter, instant coffee. Sky is the limits. Look at BodyBuilding.Com for some great low carb, low fat shake ideas

Whole grains for everything. Proteins of sorts in every meal, roughly 20-30 grams is good.

Manosteel

WKR
Shakes are great because they are quick and easy.

Dinner - Meat, chicken, fish and veggies. Limit the carbs, minimal past lunch. 5 meals a day is optimal. I like to mix up the mornings, sometimes it's oatmeal, sometimes it's a shake. Protein mix, peanut butter, instant coffee. Sky is the limits. Look at BodyBuilding.Com for some great low carb, low fat shake ideas

Whole grains for everything. Proteins of sorts in every meal, roughly 20-30 grams is good.

good advice, simple and it will work. Once you get used to changing your eating habits you can play with protien and carb intake (I take in at a minimum 1 gr of protien per 1 pound of bodywieght. but I work out with wieghts 4-5 times a week and want more muscle than your average monkey:))

The only thing I would add is drink at least 3 litters of water a day, throughout the day. It will help with all sorts of bodily things and keep you feeling full.

X2 on the myfitnesspal, great app.

Daniel_M

WKR
Another thing to add it keep things mixed up. Plain chicken will burn you out in a weak and you'll give up QUICK! Always be lookin for creative tasty recipes.

jmez

WKR
Shakes are ok but they are actually designed to supplement protein rather than provide it. You can eat fat free Greek yogurt in place of a shake. Get your protein and cut the calories way down. Lean meats like chicken or fish are also good.

300 calories per shake is alot, you mixing with milk or water? I use optimum nutrition and a shake made with water is 24g or protein and 120 calories.

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input. I'm going to do 2-3 shakes and/or a protein bar then a sensible dinner. And limit my weekend meals to a minimum.

OP
C

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry. I guess we were posting at the same time. I use almond milk. Two serving and one scoop of protein. Weekends will be the same except ill switch up breakfast with eggs and maybe a piece of whole grain toast. Then a shake/bar then smaller dinner

Daniel_M

WKR
Weekends are tough to get in 5 meals for sure. At least if yer eating clean its not a huge deal.

Look into almond milk vs Skim. Almond milk has more protein(almonds) and roughly half the calories but more fat.

It's all a trade off.

Ruskin

WKR
I'm attempting to hit a similar weight loss goal as you. Because my previous attempts were not working, I decided to go with the Wilderness Athlete 28 day challenge. It's not rocket science, but it's structured program in terms of mixing their products with smart meals at lunch and dinner, with an "active lifestyle".

I'm on day 2, so I can't talk to the final results, but I like the structure and the recommended routine is manageable. Something they advise on is no eating after 7 and cutting the carbs (among other things).