Weatherby Vanguard MeatEater Edition

j_volt

WKR
After a long while of teasing, the Weatherby Vanguard MeatEater Edition has been released. IMHO, it seems like it has a lot of features for the money (such as a spiral fluted barrel, a threaded barrel, a cerakote, a hand painted stock, and a better-than-average trigger) for $899. However, I wish there were a few more caliber options.

What is everyone else thinking on this rifle?

Singleshot

Lil-Rokslider
I personally think at that price point there are better options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I was very interested in a Browning Hells canyon LR, but then I saw this. This would be cheaper and in my experience, Vanguards shoot very, very well. It seems to be set up well for Western hunting and should perform well out at extended ranges.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Cool to see the spurs barrel, sort of a throwback to the original Carolina customs rifle he hunted with in the early seasons of that show.

I still won’t buy it though.

Anybody know the differences between the MarkV left hand only version and the Vanguard version...other than the 1000 bucks and a triggertech...I though maybe carbon fiber stock but the mark V has a fiberglass stock too...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Anybody know the differences between the MarkV left hand only version and the Vanguard version...other than the 1000 bucks and a triggertech...I though maybe carbon fiber stock but the mark V has a fiberglass stock too...

the action is completely different, the vanguards are made by howa in Japan, the MKVs are made in Wyoming. Completely different rifles.

the action is completely different, the vanguards are made by howa in Japan, the MKVs are made in Wyoming. Completely different rifles.
Thanks for the info...not really up on Weatherbys...I bought a couple diffent flavors of RM700s back in the early 90s never had a reason to look for another rifle...although I find the marketing aspect of this very interesting, especially not offering the MV in right handed option. At least there is no drop down for it. Your top tier option is only available to 10% of the population.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for the info...not really up on Weatherbys...I bought a couple diffent flavors of RM700s back in the early 90s never had a reason to look for another rifle...although I find the marketing aspect of this very interesting, especially not offering the MV in right handed option. At least there is no drop down for it. Your top tier option is only available to 10% of the population.

That is strange, I think they did it as a gimmick since Steven rinella is left handed, on the early episodes of the meat eater show he was shooting left handed with a right handed rifle.

I noticed the photo too..maybe the page isnt fully updated, who knows...just found it interesting...very slow day at work....carry on!

Cxs03g

FNG
I personally think at that price point there are better options.

Such as? This rifle caught my attention to but I’m curious to hear what you think are better options? I’m in the market for a 30 cal.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Anything with that stock design will always be a hard pass for me. I'd also argue that #2 contour doesn't need fluting, 26 inches long or not. IIRC the Vanguard is a Howa 1500 by another name...I find the Howa option more compelling. This one, for instance: https://www.howausa.com/hs-precision

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
Isn’t the price $999? I also think think that for sure this rifle is made for lefty’s, as it says meateater on it

Reactions: OMB

Singleshot

Lil-Rokslider
Such as? This rifle caught my attention to but I’m curious to hear what you think are better options? I’m in the market for a 30 cal.

If you are willing to shop around there are some great deals on kimber Montana’s and Sako finnlights or even the CA Mesa. I picked up my montana in 300 wsm for $750 used. It may not be as pretty as the vanguard but it’s alot better to carry. I’m not bashing the vanguard, I own a sub moa in 300 wsm that I paid $500 for and after some trigger work it’s a solid rifle that is incredibly accurate but it’s not even close to my kimber or sako. I personally think the tikkas are one of the best buys out there and are boringly accurate.

Sykes

WKR
I’d be a buyer if it was 5/8x24 threaded, I feel they missed the mark on this portion of the build
There isn't enough meat on a #2 contour for 5\8-24 threads. If your wanting to run a suppressor they make adapters. My Cooper Timberline is 1/2-28 threads and I use an adapter to attach my 5/8-24 suppressor. I would be more intent on getting a good brake for it than running a can way out on a thin 26" barrel. If I were to buy this rifle it would be support meateater not really for the rifle itself