Weather for 3rd rifle...?

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all...

Doing something new this year. Due to family obligations and some weddings, we cannot get out to CO until 3rd rifle. Have hunted 1st and 2nd before, but going to a new unit as well. Heading to 54. I know the weather swings, and is different year to year, but just looking at what to expect and what gear should make the trip.... or what new stuff do I need! LOL

54 can get pretty gnarly by 3rd rifle. Expect the potential for deep snow and temperatures in the teens or lower depending how high up you are. Pack chains for all 4 wheels and you may want to at least have snow shoes in the truck. Gunnison valley hits -40 below at times in the winter, and has the potential to do that during 3rd, although it is still pretty early for the really cold weather. Pack accordingly, it is better to have a duffel bag of extra warm clothes that you don't need, than to be short and freeze your ass off. Being Colorado, it could also be warm and sunny in the 40's. You just never know until it gets closer to the season what the weather patterns are doing. You also need to look at the closure dates for Kebler pass, and may not be able to get in from the North end.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I haven't elk hunted in November in a couple decades now, but I'm not sure I can remember a Nov elk season where I wasn't eventually pushing snow with my bumper in the truck. Definite yes for chains, always had all four chained up for mud or snow or both. I also wouldn't do Nov without a good wood stove. I have more memories then of sub-zero temps than warmer temps.

I was a bit north of there last year near Basalt. Chains were required by law and i needed them. I was hunting higher up on the mountains in the maroon bells and a state forest while the elk were lower down the valley due to some early snow. 1-3 feet Depending on which side of the slope you were on. Lowest morning temp was about 5*. Never got above freezing but wasn’t too bad. Steep country where I was. I dressed for exertion - kuiu axis and Sitka ambient with kuiu 97 base layers and kenetrek boots - but brought a heavy puffy for glassing and used it.

if your area is like that, here are some things to bring:

• Snow shovel for your car
  • Gaiters
  • hand warmers - I used between 4-6 a day.
  • Good spotter and tripod - way too steep to just wonder around.
  • well-conditioned legs and lungs
  • a bit more food and fuel than you think you will need.
  • mule deer tag - saw lots

gtriple

WKR
I was a bit north of there last year near Basalt. Chains were required by law and i needed them. I was hunting higher up on the mountains in the maroon bells and a state forest while the elk were lower down the valley due to some early snow. 1-3 feet Depending on which side of the slope you were on. Lowest morning temp was about 5*. Never got above freezing but wasn’t too bad. Steep country where I was. I dressed for exertion - kuiu axis and Sitka ambient with kuiu 97 base layers and kenetrek boots - but brought a heavy puffy for glassing and used it.

if your area is like that, here are some things to bring:

• Snow shovel for your car
  • Gaiters
  • hand warmers - I used between 4-6 a day.
  • Good spotter and tripod - way too steep to just wonder around.
  • well-conditioned legs and lungs
  • a bit more food and fuel than you think you will need.
  • mule deer tag - saw lots
Mule deer tag is a great recommendation. That's how my fiancé ended up with the trophy in my profile pic. We were hunting elk and saw that monster.

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a good local mountain weather website to look at to get the historic average and such for the desired mountain range or area?

WTFJohn

WKR
Is there a good local mountain weather website to look at to get the historic average and such for the desired mountain range or area?

3rd Rifle season in CO could be 10* or 60*; raining, snowing, sunny; no wind or constant 30 mph gusting to 50. It may be most of those in a single day, or you may have the 60* day followed by the rain, wind, and snow overnight leading into a 10* day. That is the historic average weather; seeing what the temperatures are from past years on a specific date doesn't really mean much. My area of the state is already seeing regular freezing temperatures, I'm sure there are guys out there right now that got snowed on yesterday or overnight.

You can use the NOAA point forecast system to get an idea of weather away from towns/exactly where you're hunting. NOAA Point Forecast, this is set on Crested Butte currently but you can click a new spot on the map to load weather for that 1mi x 1 mi area.

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the info.
We did 2 weeks last year in 66 and camped at 11k for 2nd season. We had it all seasons in 2 weeks! LOL. Is there anything one would recommend gear wise for 3rd season? Would rather be overly prepared than not prepared being 1500 miles away from home.

jcmupar

FNG
Thanks for all the info.
We did 2 weeks last year in 66 and camped at 11k for 2nd season. We had it all seasons in 2 weeks! LOL. Is there anything one would recommend gear wise for 3rd season? Would rather be overly prepared than not prepared being 1500 miles away from home.
Protect hands and feet as much as possible (usually the things that drive people back to camp when temps drop). Down mittens and down booties for glassing have become my go to for late seasons. Outdoor Research makes both and they have been a game changer for late season.

tdhanses

WKR
Thanks for all the info.
2nd and 3rd aren’t much different only a few days apart really, just bring enough clothes for cold weather otherwise pack the same as you did last year and be ready for snow as you were last year.

Poser

WKR

With the transitional El Niño pattern, CO is expected to have below slightly average temps and slightly above average moisture, however, I don’t believe that pattern fully takes effect until January. That being said, we just had our first snow of the season in the Southwest, so there’s that.

Realistically, it’s going to be impossible to pin down a forecast for 2 months out right now.