waterproofing sitka clothes

kyle1112

WKR
so i have the jetstream jacket and 90% pants and on my early season trip it dumped buckets on me, has anyone ever washed their sitka in nikwax or done anything to "waterproof" water resistant clothes and if so what worked best?

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
I use nikwax tech wash on my kuiu gear, a little time in the dryer and the dwr is back where it used to be.

so ypou said tech wash but isnt that just for cleaning the waterproof finish not adding waterproofing?

TECH WASH

The No.1 easy to use, safe, high performance cleaner for wet weather clothing and equipment.

Cleans effectively, reviving breathability and water repellency.

Your waterproof clothing and equipment could be soaking up water because the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) has been compromised by dirt, or because it has been cleaned with a conventional laundry detergent. Dirt attracts water and household detergents leave water attracting (hydrophilic) residues, leading to fabric 'wetting out' in wet or damp conditions.
If your waterproof clothing or equipment is relatively new, or recently treated with a Nikwax waterproofer, then cleaning with Nikwax Tech Wash® will not only remove contaminants, such as dirt and residues left behind by household detergents, but also revitalize DWR.

Lawnboi

WKR
^^

I was also recommended to put my clothing in the dryer with a little heat to help restore my DWR on my kuiu clothing.... cant speak exactly for Sitka but it seemed to work the same with my Jetstream vest and ascent pants when I had them.

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
TECH WASH

The No.1 easy to use, safe, high performance cleaner for wet weather clothing and equipment.

Cleans effectively, reviving breathability and water repellency.

Your waterproof clothing and equipment could be soaking up water because the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) has been compromised by dirt, or because it has been cleaned with a conventional laundry detergent. Dirt attracts water and household detergents leave water attracting (hydrophilic) residues, leading to fabric 'wetting out' in wet or damp conditions.
If your waterproof clothing or equipment is relatively new, or recently treated with a Nikwax waterproofer, then cleaning with Nikwax Tech Wash® will not only remove contaminants, such as dirt and residues left behind by household detergents, but also revitalize DWR.

well there ya have it, ill start with the tech wash and go to the tx direct wash in if that doesnt work.

Just found that on Nikwax website thought it might help. Let me know how it works I have the 90% jacket and might try it out.

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
i always wash my hunting clothes in scent killer and figured it wouldnt mess up the dwr but who knows maybe it did, and i also never dry my clothes in the dryer just hang them outside if warm enough or in the house somewhere as scent safe as possible. my mom watches my kids while me and my wife are at work and after this early season trip i had my gear in the laundry room and she washed it regular and dried it so who knows what gonna happen now...but the plus side is my wife makes our laundry soap and its pretty scent free so hopefully it didnt screw up my gear.

colonel00

WKR
I have also seen suggestions to use just plain detergent flakes or even the cheap sport wash stuff you get from walmart for $5. I usually hit my gear once or twice a year with Tech Wash but it gets pricey to use all the time.