Waterproofing a Paradox Pack

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi guys, we've had a lot of questions on how to properly seam seal our packs.

For best results, seam seal the outside seams. Seam sealing the inside does little good. I thin the sealer pretty hard with mineral spirits, then suck it up into a small syringe and use that to inject it into the seams. It works well and leaves a very clean line compared to brushing it on, though brushing it is quicker.

After sealing, let it dry and then test it out. If it passes a 15 minute drenching rain without any water penetration then you're good. A shower works for this, but I usually use the hose outside.

I shot a video on the technique. It's a bit long and not very exciting, but should be helpful.

Nathan

[video=youtube_share;uD1r0sQ61IA]http://youtu.be/uD1r0sQ61IA[/video]

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I forgot to mention that in our testing a side zipper does not affect water penetration in rain. If the pack is in a vertical orientation like it's being worn, the compression and Talon tends to hold the rain flap down and I haven't seen any water penetration through that zipper.

Wrongside

WKR
Ha! Wish I'd seen this last week. I finally got around to seam sealing my pack... The wrong way... :)

Wrongside

WKR
From the inside, with a brush. I'll do the outside with a syringe, this winter. It'll be double good... ;)

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We edge bind the seams on the pack bags. That means that the two edges of X-Pac fabric are sandwiched between a folded over grosgrain ribbon, then stitched. This results in an incredibly strong seam which is why we do it this way. It also makes the seam easy to waterproof by seam sealing the exterior.

If you only seal the thread holes on the interior seam results vary, especially in heavy rain. What I've found is that the edge binding ribbon itself can start soaking up water, not just the thread. This leads to water penetration.

So to fully waterproof the packbag seal the exterior seams. It isn't hard and is worth it IMO, especially for those who live in wet climates.

Wrongside

WKR
Ya, I soaked it all pretty good on the inside, but I'll definitely do it as you've outlined in the video. I can see how that will work much better. Thanks for the video.

Wrongside

WKR
As an aside- when I purchased the Paradox, the XPac waterproofness feature was way down the list of features I cared about. Rather being more impressed with the weight and how the pack carries. Now, having been thru a few downpours with the pack and everything staying perfectly dry... It is a GREAT feature!

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree. Waterproof is one of those things you don't fully appreciate till you're trapped out in an all day rain and all your stuff gets soaked.