Waterproof Socks for packrafting

bard

Lil-Rokslider
I have a dry suit that does not have the booties. Have a hunt planned for October when the river is freezing cold. Wondering what people have used for waterproof socks or other options. Hoping they can seal to the rubber gasket around my ankles. I have used the wetsuit booties in the past but they don’t cut it after a full day on the river

I used my Alpacka Stowaway lightweight dry suit with no booties this last September on a sheep hunt in Alaska. I wear a pair of NRS Neoprene .5 mil socks and then a pair of Rocky Gore Tex Socks over those. The late ankle seals go over the top of the Gore socks. This keeps most of the water out. However when your in the water, wading and sitting with your feet in front of you, water still manages to get in after a while.

This setup was great for when I needed to wear boots and walk up gravel bars while still wearing the dry suit. However when I was paddling for hours, my feet absolutely froze.

Unless I absolutely needed to go super light or wasn’t paddling for too long, I think I would rather wear my Kokatat Hydrus 3l full dry suit with booties and take the small weight penalty in order to be more comfortable and warm.

If you wanted to stick with the dry suit you have and wear neoprene booties, the ones I use for surfing in AK are really warm. Solite 7mm Fire booties.

Bennydee

FNG
I’ve never packrafted, but have a pair of winter weight Sealskinz waterproof socks. Think they’re merino too? Great for winter bog stomping in our Scottish highlands, and comfortable enough that I don’t get blisters.

OP
B

bard

Lil-Rokslider
I might have to try some seal skinz. Maybe duct tape the outside of the sock and hope it seals to the dry suit. Then a pair of booties and crocs.