Waterproof duffel for flying with bear hide ?........

Raghornjp

FNG
Any of you guys have any suggestions or experience in transporting raw brown bear hide and skull on a commercial flight ?
What kind of waterproof duffel bag would you recommend or other means of packing?
Thanks

Agree, NRS is the more economical and lighter choice here. Not sure if Yeti makes one big enough for a Brownie, but if so it would be the heaviest and most expensive choice. I vote NRS.

I've not done a bear hide. But I would toss one in a contractor bag and freeze it. Toss it in another then into the dry back for flight home with hunting cloths around it. Just me tho

OP
R

Raghornjp

FNG
Make sure you freeze it. Put an AirTag on it for good measure
I don’t think I’ll have access to a freezer
Most likely will just be salted and wet so lots of potential to get juicy and drip.

Scottf270

WKR
I had Cole Kramer take care of my hide on Kodiak. The hide was fleshed superbly by Scott Mileur, who I hunted with. Cole acted as a shipping contact.

He took it by a taxidermist on Kodiak who looked it over again and shipped it to the tannery direct. Actually saved money in the long run as most any taxidermist cannot tan a brown bear hide and must ship to a tannery anyway.

I did bring my skull home in a nice thick roll down top dry bag. It was trimmed and scrapped as best I could and I took it as my carry on. I was able to put it under my seat.

Just other options. Good luck on your hunt.

Any of you guys have any suggestions or experience in transporting raw brown bear hide and skull on a commercial flight ?
What kind of waterproof duffel bag would you recommend or other means of packing?
Thanks
What size in liters do you guys recommend ?
might try a seal line 65 L . Hunting in Alberta with guide who targets big bears

wyosteve

WKR
I brought my grizzly back frozen in a contractor’s bag and regular duffel bag. The frozen skull in a bag went in my carry on. Heading up for brown bear in 19 days and plan to do the frozen/contractor bag/duffel scenario again.

I brought my grizzly back frozen in a contractor’s bag and regular duffel bag. The frozen skull in a bag went in my carry on. Heading up for brown bear in 19 days and plan to do the frozen/contractor bag/duffel scenario again.
Thank you

Like that idea nice and simple

Long trek Home and stayed frozen no problem.

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks
I’ve flown twice with black bear hides, salted and then double bagged in black contractor bags. Skull rolled up in the hide. Put that in my suitcase. No issues either time. If it has been salted, you’ve got nothing to worry about.

Got a 7'2" 296 lbs. black bear used a grain sack, contractors bag and "Seal Line Boundry Bag (65L) and together with the skull it all fit nicely and under 50lbs.
10+ hr flights home still frozen
Hope this helps guys in the future

labs17

FNG
Thanks
Think about ziploc bags. They make them in XXL and Jumbo. The Jumbo version is 20 gal, stands up, is made from non-toxic plastic and has handles that will hold up really well under load. I have put 2 boned out whitetail does in one bag and it didn't leak.