Water

Beastmode

WKR
How much water do you drink in the backcountry. It all depends how much you move around, temperature, physical condition and terrain. But on average how much water do you drink in a day?

I drink right around 2.5 litres which keeps me hydrated enough. I carry 3 total usually a day.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I try for 3L a day, but that is a goal only. In the winter I tend to drink less, but shouldn't, I just seem to drink less when not as hot.

Anywhere from 100-140 oz... That's not really including cooking water either. I drink a LOT of water and while it's one of the heaviest things in my day pack, being hydrated is one of my top priorities on a hunt.

Mike

Slim Jim

WKR
When I pack in, on the hike I drink quite a bit. About 3/4 liter an hour on the ascend. I carry 3L and usually top off at a creek when I get down to last liter . Once at camp I try to drink 2-3L a day not counting fluids to rehydrate foods like oatmeal and MH

unm1136

WKR
Several of the areas I hunt have warnings about having enough water. All the streams on the maps are labeled "seasonal, and the wilderness areas are particularly bad. When I went on the first scouting trip in July there were several streams and springs. By October they were all dried up. By the time the hunt came in late Nov there was no natural water to be found. It turned a planned backpacking hunt into car camping. There was one water hole in my back up area, but based on the animals I saw and gut piles left in the water, I was a little worried to try to filter it. It was a huge watering hole, no running water, and I patterened three flocks of Turkeys to it of 12-20 individual birds each, and watched one hunter push his forkie's gut pile into the pond. This year if I get drawn for the same area I will be packing 2.5 gallons for a 3-5 day hunt. It will be painful, but there is no running water to be had.

pat