Wasted Money?

Duuane

FNG
I recently went to my local archery shop, which is owned by a friend. I was asking about some low-cost arrows because I might go to TAC in Pittsburgh this year, and based on other friend's experiences, they said that depending on what chances I'm willing to take, I might just lose or bust up some arrows. My shop had just bought out another shops inventory and was offering the shafts they bought for a great price, pennies on the dollar. I ended up getting 2 dozen FMJ's, 500 spine. The spine seems light, but my buddy said, these are great arrows for a great price, and if I end up losing or breaking them, I'm not out much (that part is accurate) Now I wonder if I decided to use them for hunting, can I get the kind of arrow flight I need for a clean kill on a live animal. My bow is 60#, my current arrows are properly spined Axis 5mm at 27" carbon to carbon, I'm using 125 grain fixed heads, a 50 grain hit insert, and 2" blazer vanes, total weight is 478 grains. Any chance I can get proper performance using the same setup on the FMJ's?

All the spine charts/software will say you're severely underspined at 500. Below is qSpine output assuming the bow/arrow specs listed. Even so, you could probably get them to fly okay with field points, but broadheads may give you trouble. Only way to know for sure is to try.
Screenshot_20230125_141338.jpg
Arrow: 5mm FMJ, 500 spine, 27" C2C, 125 gr head, 16 gr HIT, 9 gr nock, 3 vanes at 7 gr/ea
Bow: 340 fps IBO, 60# DW, 28" DL, 6" BH, 30" ATA, 85% LO

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
I haven't cut of fletched the FMJ's so I'm sure I can make a switch at the shop where I got them. I really wanted to try them though. Thanks for not telling me what I wanted to hear. I couldn't think of Seven Springs, so I just went with Pittsburg which is where my buddy stayed when he went down.

If you lighten the tip weight, those shafts will work fine for target. I wouldn't waste time trying to get them to fly with broadheads. Too weak for consistent results.

My experience with FMJ's was short lived, they flew well, then groups opened up with broadheads after a few weeks. Most had gotten a bend in them. Reminded me why I quit aluminum.

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
My shop had a dozen 400 spined FMJ, I swapped out a dozen, but will keep the other dozen 500's. I'll cut one and see how it performs by comparison. I'll try field tips and broadheads, and if by chance I get good flight, I'll use them for fun shoots. If not, my buddy shoots 48 lbs so if he wants them I'll make him a good deal.

nphunter

WKR
Those should shoot well at long range. Fletch with something like 4 Max Stealths, using the 15gr inserts and 100gr tips and cut them about 1/2” in front of your rest. Depending on your draw length you can go pretty short. I’m 28” and shoot about 26 1/4” arrows with IW collars, could go around 25.5” without collars.
I had great results shooting 28” long 400’s from a 67lb CST with fixed broadheads. They shot great groups out to 80 even at 310fps+. They were some of the best shooting arrows I’ve ever had. I don’t really like short arrows and fixed heads but they are awesome with expandables.

I recently went to my local archery shop, which is owned by a friend. I was asking about some low-cost arrows because I might go to TAC in Pittsburgh this year, and based on other friend's experiences, they said that depending on what chances I'm willing to take, I might just lose or bust up some arrows. My shop had just bought out another shops inventory and was offering the shafts they bought for a great price, pennies on the dollar. I ended up getting 2 dozen FMJ's, 500 spine. The spine seems light, but my buddy said, these are great arrows for a great price, and if I end up losing or breaking them, I'm not out much (that part is accurate) Now I wonder if I decided to use them for hunting, can I get the kind of arrow flight I need for a clean kill on a live animal. My bow is 60#, my current arrows are properly spined Axis 5mm at 27" carbon to carbon, I'm using 125 grain fixed heads, a 50 grain hit insert, and 2" blazer vanes, total weight is 478 grains. Any chance I can get proper performance using the same setup on the FMJ's?
I will buy all their bareshaft axis 340s, I have a project to prove arrow building is easy and want to destroy some of these guys beliefs!

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
I cut the 400's to the minimum length I could for the rest I'm using and plan to use a 75 grain tip. They shoot good at 15 yards in my basement. as soon as I can get my targets outside, I will try them at distance. If they do well, I will take them to TAC in June. That way I'm using inexpensive arrows which might get lost or broken, and won't be using them to hunt at all.

kpk

WKR
If you lighten the tip weight, those shafts will work fine for target. I wouldn't waste time trying to get them to fly with broadheads. Too weak for consistent results.

My experience with FMJ's was short lived, they flew well, then groups opened up with broadheads after a few weeks. Most had gotten a bend in them. Reminded me why I quit aluminum.

My experience with them has been unfortunately long lived. I bought several dozen on camofire years ago for dirt cheap. I now have a literal pile of broken FMJs - stupid things break like toothpicks.

Cut em as short as possible and light points and you should be ok. If you can back your bow off 5 lbs it would help. I still run 340 spine out of my 60 lb bow (same as when shooting 70 lbs) Ive shot fmj's for many years but not into 3d targets. No issues with bending.

Also, if you aren't already signed up for the Pennsylvania TAC it may be too late.

OP
D

Duuane

FNG
Thanks sodaksooner ..........we got signed up in mid February so we are all set. I've never been, but three of the five of us have been there twice before. really looking forward to it.