Washington State Spring Turkey

AllPNW

FNG
I've been a little too successful at getting my kids into hunting, my 13 year old son is constantly asking when we can go. And my 11 year old daughter had a blast last year deer hunting in 38 degree rain. So they want to do a spring turkey trip and I am trying to plan it out. We would like to double the trip with some scouting areas for deer in the future and are looking into upper east corner of the state.

This will be our first turkey hunt, have read up quite a bit on tactics and the basics. But main question here would be any advice for us as we head out into the mountains? Ideal areas or locations to start looking into? Should I try and ask permission on private lands up there or keep it public?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
What part of the state? On the east side....you can expect to get into a lot of turkeys on public and private land

OP
AllPNW

AllPNW

FNG
What part of the state? On the east side....you can expect to get into a lot of turkeys on public and private land
Yup we’re planning east side of the mountains.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
shouldnt be to hard to find a spot, look where you have a mix of public and private ,if your asking on private bring your kids ,it helps alot even when someone doesnt like poeple from that side . that said dont expect the same hospitality when it comes to deer.

dtrkyman

WKR
Look for burn areas or timber cuts that are recent, turkey love the openings to strut and the new growth attracts the birds and bugs.

Roost trees are Ponderosa much of the time in the mountains, in Riparian zones cottonwoods.

Coyote howler in the pre dawn or after sunset is a great locator call.

Wrench

WKR
If you're heading to the far east, the birds are a nuisance and can be found basically everywhere. Anywhere from the Costco parking lot to 6k peaks. Timber, fields, asphalt.....they like it all.

OP
AllPNW

AllPNW

FNG
If you're heading to the far east, the birds are a nuisance and can be found basically everywhere. Anywhere from the Costco parking lot to 6k peaks. Timber, fields, asphalt.....they like it all.
We might have to scout out some Costcos..

Like others have said, you shouldn’t have too much trouble getting into birds. Whitetails will be there too. I’d recommend that you get your’s and the kiddo’s hunting clothes treated with permethrin to ward off the ticks. A simple ground blind like some camo netting and stakes helps to hide the movement of the kids too.