Washington Game Dept. at it again.

JohnB

WKR
I hope they succeed. Helping keep disease out of bighorn herds is a great idea. The amount of time money and effort that has been put into restoring hells canyon area is huge
Seriously. The amount of bighorns that have died and been culled due to m. Ovi sucks. It's much better to find as many ways as possible to reduce exposure.

Wrench

WKR
If it follows historic trends, the department will do what seems most disruptive to the herds and then add a fee for their trouble.

How many of you remember the rams from hall mountain and the feeding station debacle that killed the whole herd when the hound ban went into effect?

My faith in the department's biology is not exactly high.

OP just curios are you a goat packer? If so I would like to hear your take on this since ultimately seems like a good thing for the Bighorns herds there.

tater

WKR
They are following the change to rules to the north here in BC that happened a couple of years ago. There seems to be a more harmonizing of regulations across jurisdictions as it applies to "high value" game species.

My thoughts. Why would grazing animals have ever been allowed on WDFW wildlife areas?

But then, to consider pack goats….. they are allowed in the wilderness, but excluding them from winter grounds may be effective.

I don’t see issue with the rule.

I’ve seen large herds of domestic sheep clearing national forest and other lands that are winter grounds. Seemed excessively counter productive.

I don’t know anyone with much faith in WDFW. They are just political puppets at this point. I don’t think they could right this ship if they wanted to.

TheTone

WKR
My thoughts. Why would grazing animals have ever been allowed on WDFW wildlife areas?

But then, to consider pack goats….. they are allowed in the wilderness, but excluding them from winter grounds may be effective.

I don’t see issue with the rule.

I’ve seen large herds of domestic sheep clearing national forest and other lands that are winter grounds. Seemed excessively counter productive.

I don’t know anyone with much faith in WDFW. They are just political puppets at this point. I don’t think they could right this ship if they wanted to.
From what I have seen is WDFW gets extreme pressure from livestock groups and often county governments to graze their property, at least on the east side of the state.

Do you want WDFW to do nothing about this issue? I don't understand the OPs thought on this one. I fully support no domestic sheep or goats on WDFW lands, keep those lands for the wild animals only.