Warthogs!

So I got drawn for a public multi species hunt in South TX at Chaparral WMA and they've seen African warthogs out there. They escaped from some high fence place...Included in that hunt are 1 doe, 1 javelina, unlimited coyotes, unlimited rabbits, unlimited feral hogs (warthogs count), and daily limits of quail...Being that I will probably NEVER get to hunt a free range warthog in Texas again, that's my main goal. Any of you have experience hunting them? A bit of reading said they were diurnal...Trying to gather all the info I can before this hunt.

Cj0n3s12

FNG
Not able to offer info but shot a few in South Africa.. fun to sling arrows at. Good luck!

yfarm

WKR
Never know what you will see out in the brush in south Texas. Bodies, 2 and 4 legged. African, Indian,Middle Eastern, Asian. The exotic ranchers and Coyotes keep the area well stocked.

twall13

WKR
I shot one with a rifle in South Africa a few years back. I was surprised how fun they were to watch as I didn't have a ton of interest in hunting them until I started seeing them in the fields. Watching their tails spring to attention and their sporadic running was fun. I can't say I have a ton of advice on how to hunt them, but they did seem to be out a lot during the day. Not sure if that tracks for Texas as well but I'd assume they would behave similarly. Fairly tough animals, pay attention to shot placement. Good luck. 20190827_083130.jpg

TxxAgg

WKR
I did a bow hunt a few years ago at the Chap. Never saw any warthogs but I did shoot one in South Africa once. The deer are super wary but I bet you get several chances at pigs and javelinas...they mop up corn if you sprinkle a sendero. Prepare for all day sits and bring a comfy chair. We were in the North Jay pastureA3AE8217-1964-481E-A31D-9EF1AE628BBA.jpegF047100B-1050-474F-BF50-6C38E8E800B5.jpeg42FBCB8C-7ACA-4C81-B35C-2EB8E0CCE5C5.jpeg

Last edited: