WARNING: Jamacian scam ring

Bountyhunter

Lil-Rokslider
There is a Jamacian scammer ring out of Florida working gun forums for want to buy items. They have stolen multiple IDs with pictures, drivers license, technical licenses and even LE ID and badges, CCWs etc, hacked emails and burner phones to answer phone calls. they are very attention to detail with numerous pictures of the item, details about the item, personal details etc. They are knowledgable and not dummies on the item. Only thing I did not do was ask for current pic with something else in one of the photos. My fault there obviously. However, I found out they are photo shopping pics of a requrested item into the picture even then they send some people so they have computer skills.

I tried to buy a ruger mannlicher 7-08, got phone number, CCW, drivers license, state Fire Dept badge and ID, matching email address to the name and numerous personal emails etc. Got me for $910. Tracked the real guy down thru white pages and he outlined a two year process to turn these guys in. FBI will not touch it he said, but at least 10-15 people been hit using his IDs and old email and FB pics.

They are using Zelle, paypal etc.

They also ask for your ID so they have a steady flow of new IDs coming in regardless if they complete the transaction.

Watch out for names of Jones Barton, Jeffery L. Kelly, John Janda, Joe Miles names for sure. These guys had their Ids stolen and are being used. However, according to real guy he has found out about 10-12 IDs with copius details they are using.

Any have an FBI agent that wants to bust a big time scammer ring, have them contact me.

Herman Harke

Rob5589

WKR
Sorry to hear you got scammed. It's really not worth it any longer to buy online from individuals. I still transact here and occasionally AT but nowhere else.

Porkchop

FNG
How would guntab or similar service be used when buying a high priced item like a spotter when a ffl is not needed? I'll be honest and say I am reluctant to use the classified ads because of a few bad apples.

How would guntab or similar service be used when buying a high priced item like a spotter when a ffl is not needed? I'll be honest and say I am reluctant to use the classified ads because of a few bad apples.
Have you read through the Guntab site?

Porkchop

FNG
I looked at it but not in depth. So thats my fault if it answers my question. I thought the escrow held the money and the ffl held the gun.

1. For non-ffl items, use PayPal goods and services. Do not use any other service... if the seller is adamant about using Zelle, PayPal gift or some other service even after you offer to front the fee, its probably a scam. Think about it, as a scammer I wouldn't want the buyer to have any recourse in getting their money back.

2. I looked into Guntab, looks like a perfect alternative for weapons. Same as above. Be upfront with the seller - I'm only using Guntab. If they're not willing, it may be because they haven't heard of it or whatever, but I'd take a pass on the sale in that case.

this is why we only buy local and in person
never online for anything, we don't even pay our bills online if i can't pay in person then its no sale

WRO

WKR
I will not buy or sell and expensive item online without talking to the buyer or seller on the phone.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
1. For non-ffl items, use PayPal goods and services. Do not use any other service... if the seller is adamant about using Zelle, PayPal gift or some other service even after you offer to front the fee, its probably a scam. Think about it, as a scammer I wouldn't want the buyer to have any recourse in getting their money back.
I hear you on #1, but an insistence on FF doesn’t *necessarily* mean it’s a scam. There are many online sellers (especially of knives) who won’t take G&S in part due to a recent tax change, and because buyers can scam the sellers using G&S. Instead those sellers recommend that both parties perform due diligence on the other side, including to get vouches from other sellers or buyers. If one side isn’t comfortable, then no deal. I now know due diligence (like providing copies of licenses) has its own downsides.

Also - since a picture with your username and the date can be photoshopped as mentioned above, some people on another forum have recommended a video of the item, with the person recording the video mentioning the product and your username. Some prefer this over a phone call because they don’t have to share their name or contact info.

Since all of the above sucks and makes it clear there are always risks, I’m resigned to only dealing with people on RS, and even then I’m tempted to stop doing that.

mi650

WKR
I wouldn't normally bump an older thread, but since it's still in the middle of page 1...

Guntab looks like it's a great protection for buyers, but the potential is still there for sellers to get screwed, at least for things other than guns. There's nothing to prevent buyers from pulling the same scams they do on eBay or Amazon for optics, ammo, parts, etc...

Sherman

WKR
There is a Jamacian scammer ring out of Florida working gun forums for want to buy items. They have stolen multiple IDs with pictures, drivers license, technical licenses and even LE ID and badges, CCWs etc, hacked emails and burner phones to answer phone calls. they are very attention to detail with numerous pictures of the item, details about the item, personal details etc. They are knowledgable and not dummies on the item. Only thing I did not do was ask for current pic with something else in one of the photos. My fault there obviously. However, I found out they are photo shopping pics of a requrested item into the picture even then they send some people so they have computer skills.

I tried to buy a ruger mannlicher 7-08, got phone number, CCW, drivers license, state Fire Dept badge and ID, matching email address to the name and numerous personal emails etc. Got me for $910. Tracked the real guy down thru white pages and he outlined a two year process to turn these guys in. FBI will not touch it he said, but at least 10-15 people been hit using his IDs and old email and FB pics.

They are using Zelle, paypal etc.

They also ask for your ID so they have a steady flow of new IDs coming in regardless if they complete the transaction.

Watch out for names of Jones Barton, Jeffery L. Kelly, John Janda, Joe Miles names for sure. These guys had their Ids stolen and are being used. However, according to real guy he has found out about 10-12 IDs with copius details they are using.

Any have an FBI agent that wants to bust a big time scammer ring, have them contact me.

Herman Harke
The FBI is too busy looking for Gadsden Flags to identify domestic terrorists.