Wanting a 280AI in Left Hand... Build or Buy?

SloppyJ

WKR
Really wanting a 280AI to hunt with and to do some longer range shooting (for me) around 500yds or so. I lost most of my vision in my right eye and I'm right handed but have switched to shooting a rifle left handed and taught myself how to shoot a left handed bow a few years back when I decided to suck it up. I really want my next rifle to be left handed.

It's damn near impossible to find a 280AI in a left handed model that's decent. I'd like to be around $1250 for the rifle and plan to spend about the same on some glass. I'd like it to be a rifle with a lot of aftermarket support for swapping things out and/or rechambering down the road. Coming with a threaded barrel is a huge plus so I don't have to spend another $150 to put a suppressor on it. About the only gun I can find that fits this bill is the Savage 110 Ultralight with the Proof barrel. I wanted a Tikka but they obviously don't come in this caliber. There are some other options in right hand but I really want one that fits me shooting left. Tired of pulling up so much to rack the bolt and a right handed bolt requires a stock with no cheek piece. The rifle doesn't have to be super lightweight either.

On the other hand, would it just be easier to build one? I've never gone down that road before and never had a custom rifle. I'm a M70 guy and have a few of those and then some beaters to play around with. I wouldn't mind getting into a custom rifle but I haven't been able to find anything that would come in around what I'm wanting to spend.

The alternative is to buy a Tikka in .308 to use for a while which would suit my purposes and range requirements and then rechamber to 280ai down the road. The other issue is I can't find that savage in stock anywhere in LH. If you could give some advice, what would it be? I do already reload so I'm not stuck fighting that problem too.

gerry35

WKR
Weatherby makes a 280 AI in LH but man they are pricey. One option could be to find a Tikka 7mm-08 and have in rechambered in 280 AI, that is if a 22.4 " barrel with a 1 in 9.5 twist would meet your requirements.

Finding a cheap donor Tikka might be the best way to go, you can choose your length barrel and maybe get a Mountain Tactical magazine that gets you a bit more internal length at 3.4". With new bottom metal you could get more but then the price goes up.

Loper

WKR
I’ve been seeing a 280AI LH come up repeatedly in the classifieds here. I’m pretty sure it is a custom build. Perhaps you could get a good deal on it.

As a lefty I’m always looking to see what is available. Savage is the only 280AI I’ve been aware of in left hand.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Weatherby makes a 280 AI in LH but man they are pricey. One option could be to find a Tikka 7mm-08 and have in rechambered in 280 AI, that is if a 22.4 " barrel with a 1 in 9.5 twist would meet your requirements.

Finding a cheap donor Tikka might be the best way to go, you can choose your length barrel and maybe get a Mountain Tactical magazine that gets you a bit more internal length at 3.4". With new bottom metal you could get more but then the price goes up.

Thank you for the feedback. Still trying to figure out the research on the COAL limitations with the tikkas. That would really upset me if I'm limited by the mag. To be completely honest, I don't mind a floor plate one bit. Kind of nice in a tight spaces not having something else sticking off the gun I could bump and make noise with. I might be the only person who shares that belief though from reading around.

I'd really like a 1:8 for heavier bullets and a 1:9 at minimum. Even though I'm new to the custom game it looks like I haven't missed any obvious answers. If I found a good enough deal on a Tikka I could just buy a new prefit with the specs I wanted I guess.

In the tikka world, all of the action lengths are the same correct? There's just a bolt stop to modify so I'd just be looking at a caliber with the correct bolt face? Extreme newbie question I know.

WKR
Yes all the same length. I just saw this one today. A guy could kill a lot of stuff with this loaded up with 140 Bergers.

I went through same thing as you. Shot 30 plus years righty, injured right eye, now shoot lefty. Good luck to you on your search.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
I’ve been seeing a 280AI LH come up repeatedly in the classifieds here. I’m pretty sure it is a custom build. Perhaps you could get a good deal on it.

As a lefty I’m always looking to see what is available. Savage is the only 280AI I’ve been aware of in left hand.

Thanks for the heads up! I saw a savage timberline in there that I'm not opposed to but I will look for the one you mentioned. Just have to wait a few more days until I can message them.

Unckebob

WKR
Not a lefty, but a semi custom build is going to cost close to $2000. Then, you get to figure out what you screwed up and replace it.

For me and my 280AI build.
1) Bolt Knob too short,
2) Original scope reticle not great for hunting (could not pick out holdovers to save my life). Plus, it was too heavy. New scope arrived today. New rings on order.
3) BLD bottom metal did not play nice with my action. Replacement DBM coming soon.

I like Savages and think you'll get a good shooter. That ultralight is a good value.

I am not a Tikka guy, but from what I have read about them, you could get a 270 or 30-06, swap in a prefit barrel, and you are done. Just sell the stock unfired barrel to recoup some of the cost.

gerry35

WKR
Thank you for the feedback. Still trying to figure out the research on the COAL limitations with the tikkas. That would really upset me if I'm limited by the mag. To be completely honest, I don't mind a floor plate one bit. Kind of nice in a tight spaces not having something else sticking off the gun I could bump and make noise with. I might be the only person who shares that belief though from reading around.

I'd really like a 1:8 for heavier bullets and a 1:9 at minimum. Even though I'm new to the custom game it looks like I haven't missed any obvious answers. If I found a good enough deal on a Tikka I could just buy a new prefit with the specs I wanted I guess.

In the tikka world, all of the action lengths are the same correct? There's just a bolt stop to modify so I'd just be looking at a caliber with the correct bolt face? Extreme newbie question I know.
That's the beauty of a Tikka they are easily customized to how you like it. You would need a donor action in anything from a 22-250 on up that has the common .473" bolt face. You should be able to find a good rifle used and go from there if you like. You can sell some of the take off parts and get a bit of money back as you go. The shorter actions will need a new bolt stop but something like a 270 or 30-06 should be set up perfectly already.

I can't see why you couldn't order a prefit and go from there. If you want to get a longer C.O.A.L. Atlasworxs has bottom metal set up for AICS magazines which will get you 3.6" OAL

I'm doing a LH T3X in 6.8 Western right now but going with the Mountain Tactical magazine and the OEM bottom metal.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Spoonbill

WKR
Thanks for the heads up! I saw a savage timberline in there that I'm not opposed to but I will look for the one you mentioned. Just have to wait a few more days until I can message them.
If you like m70s then this might interest you, semi custom built 280 ai on a mauser action.

Loper

WKR
If you like m70s then this might interest you, semi custom built 280 ai on a mauser action.

Yes that is the one that I’ve seen come up multiple times in the classifieds.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Thank you all for the great advice and dropping some knowledge on me. I appreciate you taking it easy on me asking some pretty basic questions. I have a few decisions to make and my messages open up this weekend so I can start chatting with the guys who have items for sale in the classifieds.

Deucebump

WKR
Please buy that Mauser custom in the classifieds. So I dont have to. I have been watching that for over a month hoping somebody will buy it! I would love to have it but have too many other builds going on right now.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Please buy that Mauser custom in the classifieds. So I dont have to. I have been watching that for over a month hoping somebody will buy it! I would love to have it but have too many other builds going on right now.
Accepting donations if you'd like to make it go away!

Deucebump

WKR
Hahaha! Great response! But Ill have to pass unless I donate to the guy selling it.